Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Hardibacker overlapping or sitting on top of tub tile flange?? (Pics)

Hey Guys and gals,

I'm installing hardibacker CBU around my tub so I can tile the walls and I am a bit confused on what to do with the tub tiling flange. I have read to overlap the tile flange, or to rest the CBU on top of it and fill the void with anything from caulking to thinset. I've attached a picture for reference. Overlapping the tile flange would work except that the tub clips are very thick and would cause distortion in the CBU. But resting the CBU on top of tile flange seems impossible either with these clips? Even if I did "grind" the CBU where it overlaps the clips it would still leave a big void to be filled. What would the void be filled with, thinset?

What's the proper way to do this?

?
Attached Thumbnails
Hardibacker overlapping or sitting on top of tub tile flange?? (Pics)-pic-0347.jpg   Hardibacker overlapping or sitting on top of tub tile flange?? (Pics)-pic-0348.jpg  

tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Throw the clips in the trash and bring the wall-board to the top of the tub lip. Gap it 1/8" then caulk that gap with a suitable caulk, not 100% silicone. Install the tile and allow it to come within 1/8" of the top of the tub rim. Caulk that gap also using a grout-matching caulk.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Throw the clips in the trash and bring the wall-board to the top of the tub lip. Gap it 1/8" then caulk that gap with a suitable caulk, not 100% silicone. Install the tile and allow it to come within 1/8" of the top of the tub rim. Caulk that gap also using a grout-matching caulk.
Get rid of the clips? How will tub movement be controlled without anything securing the tub to the studs?

So this is what it should look like from top to bottom:

Hardibacker
1/8" gap
top of tiling flange

My concern is the height of the tiling flange of this tub. If I do as you say, it would leave a half inch or more (at least) where the tile will have nothing behind it to support it?

Also, the distance from the top of the tiling flange to my ceiling is around 6' 6". I hung hardibacker starting from the ceiling down and my final piece of CBU left to be hung is a 6" strip. Will that be an issue since it will be near the tub or should I place the 6" strip on the top and have a full sheet complete the transition to tiling flange? I'd hate to have to take it all back down.
tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Your question was....

Quote:
What's the proper way to do this?
Asked and answered.

Quote:
My concern is the height of the tiling flange of this tub. If I do as you say, it would leave a half inch or more (at least) where the tile will have nothing behind it to support it?
Fill it with thinset.

Quote:
I'd hate to have to take it all back down.
I would have done it the other way but if you have already installed the board why ask now?

Quote:
How will tub movement be controlled without anything securing the tub to the studs?
That's why you caulk it on three sides.

The clips are a stupid idea but you do whatever you want.
gregzoll (08-15-2011)