DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

handyman tip: how to save a tube of caulk quick and easy

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ZZZZZ 
#1 ·
very simple idea I just figured out.. I cut open a tube of caulk.. used about 1/3 of it.. then was stuck with either having to use up the whole tube somewhere or figure out a way too save it for later..

came up with this idea..
-> grab a piece of plastic bag or plastic.. ( I used a paint brush packaging wrapper).. wrap it around the cut tip of the caulking tube, then screw on a red wire nut.. it fits perfect... gave it a good tight fit..

:vs_karate:

#3 ·
I use the bag trick, but I secure it with the rubber band used to neuter young male livestock.

Seals very tight.

ED

#7 ·
Eh, we've always just made sure to cut the opening to the size that a screw or nail will fit snug inside the opening. Pull it out and ready to go. For longer storages, we do that then we wrap the end with some plastic, and tape it shut (assuming we have no caps) with electrical tape.

#10 ·
It's also important to seal up the back end of the tube. I've lost a few tubes because the back end dries out and the end cap is stuck in place, no matter how hard you squeeze the trigger. Just put a couple of pieces of duct tape across the end or rubber band a plastic bag around the end.

#11 ·
Neutering livestock and wire nuts, interesting conversation.

Reactions: de-nagorg
#12 ·
A little peice of duct seal putty works good for longer storage if you have any around. Lately, for short term storage I let the product skin over and seal itself. The problem with sticking in a nail or screw is that it can contaminate the product. Mold and bacteria will start in the nozzle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.