Grout, Sealer And Silicon Caulk - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

grout, sealer and silicon caulk

We just had our bathroom re tiled, and new grout. My wife put on the grout sealer, and she is wondering/considering-- also applying a strip of silicon caulk around the edges of the tile.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Joseph

Advertisement

drdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Whenever two planes of tile meet, like when one wall meets another wall or where tile meets the tub, that line is caulked rather than grouted. Is this what you mean?
If so, yes, caulk it. I would use a caulk that matches the grout rather than silicone.

Keep in mind if you do use a 100% silicone caulk you will be stuck using a similar product forever. Getting the area clean enough for other caulk to stick where silicone has been is durn near impossible.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #3

My wife is actually talking about placing caulk along the edges of individual tiles, which are already grouted. She hopes that this will make the grout more water proof. I am concerned that the caulk will interact with the grout, and create a big mess.

Thank you for replying to my post.

I am a building idiot.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

Don't let her talk you into that----Sound like a mess and a spoiled tile job.

Why is she so worried about the grout being water proof---if it's standard grout it is not water proof and is not ever going to be.

That's why tile is set in thinset over a water resistant backer--a bit of moisture will get behind the tile and no harm comes of it.---Mike---
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Thank you for the help-- I will talk with her about this.

Joseph
Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

First, are we talking about bathroom walls, a tub surround, or a shower?

Is she concerned about water penetration or keeping the grout clean? If she wants to keep the grout clean, a good quality sealer is a much better option. Go to a REAL tile store (not a big box store) and ask for a recommendation. Different types of tiles require different sealers so bring one of your tiles with you. If their first question isn't about what kind of tile you have, keep looking.

If this a shower or a wet area and her concern is water penetration, well.... that is something that should have been addressed three steps back, before the first tile was put in place. Like Mike said, grout is not meant to be waterproof.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #7

Thanks for getting back to me.

We had tile placed on the walls, and tiles placed on the floor. We had a professional do the job, but my wife wanted to put grout sealer on the grout herself-- she did a great job, but she wanted to add the caulk as an extra precaution.

I really have no concern about the water proof quality; however, and I have to confess, my wife's goal is to be able to have a dog washing station in the down stairs bathroom-- she also had a drain installed on the floor.

I am just concerned that adding the caulk is overkill, and I wonder if this will cause the grout to not work as well, or otherwise make the bathroom look peculiar.

Thanks for your advice,

Joseph
Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

DON'T DO IT! It is counterproductive and will only create issues down the road. The grout must breathe. Silicone caulk wouldn't be the product to use anyway.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote