Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

grout problem?

Have done some tiling..did several floors...no problem. Decided to try a shower. After grouting the whole shower...sealed with many coats (using unfilled travertine) Ran the shower and the last row of grout at the bottom turns dark...as if it has never been sealed. So let it totally dry out...then put another 8-10 coats of penetrating sealer on it. STILL turns dark...any ideas why? Don't know what else to try...thanks.

Rwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Tileguy

grout problem?

Sealers aren't intended to keep the water out. They are intended to slow a stain long enough for you to clean it.

Travertine will absorb water, even when sealed. Grout will absorb water, even when sealed. Sealers are vapor-transmissive, so as to allowed the moisture to escape but it takes time. Multiple coats of sealer can be good to a point but at some point their effectiveness becomes the status quo.
Moisture will find its way due to gravity to the bottom of the shower then try to escape naturally via evaporation. I suppose the moisture is struggling to get out at the bottom. Not much you can do because of the travertine. There are a lot of travertine showers but the truth is...travertine is not the best choice for a shower.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #3

grout problem?

So my question is then...will the dampness get behind the tile...through the tile/grout....and cause problems? We specifically asked about the travertine tile at the tile shop...they assured us it was just fine for a shower!! If sealed, would not cause a problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Tileguy

grout problem?

What adhesive was used for the tile? Name the brand.

No tile store will say anything negative about any product they sell, it could blow a sale. Any tile store that thinks travertine is OK in a shower is lacking in knowledge of the products they sell. It happens all of the time. They also don't understand how tile sealers really work.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #5

grout problem?

The brand name was Megaflex...grout was Polyblend.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Tileguy

grout problem?

Quote:
So my question is then...will the dampness get behind the tile...through the tile/grout....and cause problems?
Yes the moisture will get into the improvements but won't damage anything.

The MegaFlex is a quality high-end flexible thinset, in fact it may be over-kill but that's a good thing. The Polyblend is also a good grout but not water proof.

Here's the deal!
That bottom juncture should be caulk and not grout, BUT, the wall/floor substrate would have to be of a construction technique that would allow the moisture to continue down behind the caulk and egress properly through the floor receptor.

Without knowing which method was used to create the receptor there is no way to further analyze the problem.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #7

Question

grout problem?

Bud, can I pick your brain? What should I use to install the shower ceiling tile? Is there a special bond to use for that, the tile store said to use the same thing I am going to use on the walls and floor. thanks cindy The thin set I have is called Pro M-Bond Ultra Commercial polymer modified portland cement morter-EGP 918

Last edited by cindy s; 05-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.
cindy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Military Mom of 4

grout problem?

Did you install a water-proofing membrane (plastic sheeting, felt?) under your cement board?

If you put up your membrane, used cement board with the proper screws and everything else then you shouldn't have any concerns. . . stone does what stone does.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #9

grout problem?

Yes..put down the plastic, then the backerboard specifically for showers...with the proper screws...then tiled... My main concern was...why only a couple of the grout lines at the bottom of the shower...not all...turned dark...couldn't figure out why they wouldn't all do that...and it isn't the tiles...it is the grout.