Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Granite v. Corian

Trying to decide between granite and Corian for bathroom vanity top replacement? Need some positives and negatives for each to make the call...anyone have any experience here?
JRotsheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Granite v. Corian

Apples to oranges comparison. It depends somewhat on what your tastes are like. Corian might save you a few bucks but probably not all that much. Best to get what you want.

Corian is easier to work with some modified tools than is stone. You can of course get it in all sorts of colors and faux looks. It might actually be lower maintenance in a bathroom. You will have to do some routine maintenance to keep granite from water staining and so forth. No biggy though.

Have you looked into recycled glass? There are some terrazo like options out there that are beautiful. Color choices are amazing. It is about the same price as granite but lower maintenance in my opinion. If you are chasing green credits, glass would be in there for qualifying.

Google glass countertops for more info. Here is one link to get you started.

http://www.vetrazzo.com/

Last edited by user1007; 01-26-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Granite v. Corian

Have you considered a Concrete countertop? Thet can be quite attractive, and certainly durable.
Site built (poured in place) (messy) or built off-site which is cleaner if it is a reno job.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Granite v. Corian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Have you considered a Concrete countertop? Thet can be quite attractive, and certainly durable.
Site built (poured in place) (messy) or built off-site which is cleaner if it is a reno job.
I have yet to spec an in place concrete countertop arrangement because I haven't really seen any done around me that were that impressive. I have seen some on tv that are nice though. I do love the shop fabricated ones and clients do too. You have almost infinite color possibilities either with colorants or staining and etching. You can get terrazo finishes. The fabricator I use molds some beautiful sink shapes and configurations right into the tops. Coupled with some nice faucets the final "look" is extraordinary. Concrete tops run about what granite and glass ones do. Maintenance requirements are similar. I have heard they are subject to micro cracks over time but I have yet to see this in any of the shop tops I have had installed.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Granite v. Corian

I have been replacing many corian vanity tops with granite these days. Corian sinks crack over time as the plastic they are made of dries out. If you get this material be sure to never leave drano in the sink - it will be stained forever.

Granite is easy to care for and is very durable. If sealed properly initially most granites will not stain and are resistant to most common chemicals. Contrary to popular belief you can use cleaners like windex on granite but in reality you are just wearing out your sealer. Clean with mild soap and water - if you have minerals in your water or start to see any build up of minerals near the faucet it can be cleaned with a simple razor blade.
topshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Granite v. Corian

I ordered a granite vanity with sink off ebay.
It came shipped by truck and worked out great.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #7

Granite v. Corian

if you like the LOOK of corian but want a stone (something cheaper then granet) have you looked at caesarstone???? thats what my counter gal turned me onto.... i wanted corian also but wow caesarstone is freaking beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

its actually made out of cortz....
Grofica is offline   Reply With Quote