DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Granite Tile vs. Laminate Countertop (Kitchen)

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ranchmakeover 
#1 · (Edited)
My parent's have went with a granite tile countertop in their kitchen remodel about 8 years ago, and same with their basement bar. I like the look of it, but I'm not sure how it will fair re-sale wise. I have a small ranch home (~1300 sq ft), and it certainly won't be worth more than $200k after my remodel is over, so I am ruling out solid granite countertops. My debate is between granite tile vs. a laminate. I haven't found a laminate in a black "flake" pattern that I really like, and I'm worried that the "matte" finish of the Formica and Wilsonart's that I've found won't have a any shine to them to accent the under-cabinet lighting. However, with granite tile, I will of course have grout lines. I am not worried about the functionality of them, as I will do all cutting on a cutting board, but I'm worried about resale if this will be more of a turn off as opposed to a solid laminate. What do you guys think?

Price wise, they should be about the same, if not cheaper for the granite tile (Doing all the work myself).

Here is my parent's basement bar:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
I personally think 90% of tile countertops look like someone wanted solid slab but didn't/couldn't pay for it. You can get away with it for a bar, but I wouldn't do tile in a kitchen. My parents had a tile countertop, and it sucked to wipe down. Crumbs always get stuck in the grout lines, grout stains and discolors over time.

The worst is the cheap-look factor though. If you want to sell the house quick(er), get the real deal.

EDIT: one more thing. You won't find many gloss laminates because the glossier finish will show scratches/swirls much easier than the harder rock surfaces.

#4 ·
Hah, deal!

Actually, the house pictured (my parents) is not the one I'm working on. I should have specified better, but I recently purchased my first home and it's a fixer upper. I have the cabinets in, and while I'm diving into the bathroom renovation I have time to decide on what route to go for the counter top.

#5 ·
Do what you want.

There is nothing wrong with laminate, but I would never pay to have it installed when I can do tile.

Don't worry about your grout lines. If you use epoxy or urethane, it is not a problem.

It is nice to see the combination of tile and a wood edge.

It is also nice to see different countertops. I would like to have a wood countertop on an island for baking.

#8 · (Edited)
wood is the way to go!

Just take off the top and replace it with a wood countertop. They are Super popular and hot right now and are a Huge upsell. Also mine was less than $28 a square foot because I got a "DIY" wood countertop. Don't waste your money getting a pre-fabricated one or even granite because everyone (even aparments) has granite. If you are going to do a granite you may as well leave what you have.

You can do a natural Tung Oil finish on it the wood and it will be waterproof, too. I use mine for chopping, serving, prep work, etc. Highly recommend it.

I actually had fun putting the oil on mine, too. Not a lot of work time, as long as you can let it dry between coats, you're all set.
:thumbsup:

This is the exact one I did.

http://store.craft-art.com/store/ca...roduct/black-walnut-edge-style-homeowner-diy/

ps. wood countertops are Super high end now (not your great grandparents unfinished maple whatever stuff). Look in home/kitchen magazines anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.