Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

granite length ?

what is the longest, typically, that a 1 piece granite CT can be ?
i know the slabs are only so long, but idk what that is. i am thinking 10'.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

granite length ?

Having just been to several suppliers looking for slabs, I found the typical lengths were just shy of 10', typically around 115". Depending the stone there are great things that can be done to minimize the appearance of a seam. Some patterns are more amenable to this than others, of course. And it would depend on the skill of the fabricator to lay it out for you to inspect first.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
K&B Designer

granite length ?

There are a few "jumbo" slabs (up to 144") available in some very limited granite colors.

Don't be afraid of seams! A good fabricator can make virtually invisible seams in stone. Even in stones with a lot of movement, if you are willing to spend the extra to have bookmatched slabs, you can have great seams that are virtually invisible or that utilize the bookmatching of those slabs to create a stunning "butterfly" design on a large island. Just do your homework properly and find that good fabricator!

Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

granite length ?

i had my wife call a large granite place around here. they said 9' .

seems. there is NO WAY i am going to be happy with a seem in the granite i would choose.
i doubt even GOD could make it match well, at least not for me. its just the nature of the beast.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

granite length ?

Bookmatching could make a perfect mirror. They cut the slabs like facing pages of a book. This is a premium service, it does not come cheap. It usually runs the seam deliberately down the center of the material in order to highlight the mirrored appearance. Or along more than one point to really work the effect.

That or depending on the type of stone there are some very clever ways to make transitions that aren't easily detected. Sometimes by using more than one slab. Placement of the seam also does a lot to reduce being able to notice it.

But, as with anything else, design of the surfaces to be covered have to take material availability into account. If standard sizes aren't large enough, and there's not enough budget to allow for custom orders then the design would need to adapt. Either by shifting things around or accepting the use of seams.

When I designed our kitchen, bath, laundry and bar areas I deliberately planned it so no surfaces would exceed the available standard sizes, or would have an area for a seam in a material that wouldn't be a visible issue. Only the bar and the laundry ended up with a seam and they're in a Maron Cohiba and Giallo Ornamentale granite, both of which make for pretty easy hidden seams.

What're you going to notice more, an added several thousand dollars to the cost NOW or an otherwise undetectable seam over time?

Last edited by wkearney99; 09-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

granite length ?

cost is an issue. i'm not interested in $5000 counter tops.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

granite length ?

Good, fast, cheap... pick two.

It's fine to say you're not interested in paying that much. But if you're not willing to compromise on using seams then you're not going to get it inexpensively.

You're certainly welcome to hunt around forever to find a piece in the right size and material. Lots of stone fabricators have left over portions of slabs from other jobs. They're often willing to let them go for considerably less than the original square footage costs.

I used a remnant for our laundry room's granite and got it done for pretty much just the fabricating and installation costs. Now, I am having them do a fair bit of other work, so that counts as something, but it saved me quite a lot. It's not necessarily the pattern I would have chosen for the space, but it's really going to add a lot of 'punch' to what would otherwise be a plain looking space.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
K&B Designer

granite length ?

Laminate sheets come in 5'x12' sheets, and that is as large as any counter material that I'm aware of that would be considered budget. You can probably find a fabricator who can do it for around $30 a foot. Or, you could do a custom finger jointed butcher block in pieces, with the main seam also finger jointed. It will be almost as much as, or even more, than quality granite installation though. That's $60-$120 a square foot, depending on species. Or, if you want apparent seamlessness, consider doing an acrylic solid surface like Corian. One with a regular appearance will have better quality seams. That's around $50-$90 a square foot. There's also quartz, which when you do a more regular pattern also has the ability for good quality seams. We have this display in my showroom to be able to show people what a good quality seam will look like. Cambria averages about $80-$100 a square foot installed. Good quality workmanship doesn't come cheap. But, it's worth spending your money on this aspect of your remodel since you find it so important. Compromise elsewhere. Or, just make the counter smaller to fit within standard sizes available. Something has to give. Champagne costs what champagne costs. Beer costs what beer costs.

Cambria Parys.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

granite length ?

Just be sure if you're going to go with something that has any kind of pattern that you look at the actual slab BEFORE it leaves the distributor. Unless you've seen the full pattern do not assume the samples will be representative. We sent back 3 slabs of Cambria because it really did not look like the samples nor the factory's website pictures (or an actual install at a local dealer). Swapped 'em out for granite instead. Thankfully the Silestone slabs DID look just as expected. But this isn't to say one vendor's product is any better than the other, just that it's important to see the slab. Don't just assume it's going to look like the 3x3" or 12x12" samples.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

granite length ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Or, just make the counter smaller to fit within standard sizes available.
that is exactly what i am doing.

we just about have the cabs picked out, nearly $6000 for those.
we are being told that we have a large kitchen (and many upgrades).
perhaps, at least for a house like mine. its a U shape, 14"ish x 11'6" x 6'6".

so the long CT is going to be 9'

charging batts for pics.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #11

granite length ?

oh.

no doubt that i will see the actual slab. wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

granite length ?

here is the layout. see where the drawers are next to the fridge. there is going to be a built in counter top height 30" micro going there. up to the micro is 9' from the corner.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

granite length ?

ooops
Attached Thumbnails
granite length ?-img_2123.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #14

granite length ?

We went directly to the stone yard and picked out our granite.
They marked it all off (to size) with tape and put our name on it.
They had longer than 10 foot runs.

If you're picking out granite with movement and colors in it
I don't know how you can pick from a sample, like for instance
the way the big box stores sell it, from a small sample.

For example in the showroom we picked out what we wanted
from a sample, then we walked back through the factory into
the stone yard and spotted a big hunk of granite that we both
loved and switched our choice to a different granite.
Then they started sliding big
slabs out (with kind of a backhoe with a special attachment )
and we choose the specific slab we wanted.

Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote