Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Granite countertop underlayment

My granite installer wants two 3/4 inch thick pieces of wood glued together for under the granite. Is simple waferboard good or do I need a smoother surface such as particleboard? Thank you.

instructor4688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,308

If you are using a Granite installer, they have done this hundreds if not thousands of times. They know what wood product to use, they will either tell you what to install, or they will do it before they bring the counter in off of the truck.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Is this top going on kitchen cabinets? I've never heard of needing underlayment under it.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If it is a thinner slab, as some people are opting to go for, since it is cheaper than paying for the thicker slabs, they have to place at least 5/8" Exterior grade Plywood underneath it mrgins. The front of the slab has a edge, so that it appears that it is thicker, but in reality it is at most maybe 1 1/2" for the slab, but as thin as at least 1".
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mrgins (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

could you also use 5/4 hard wood 12 or 16 oc?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

It is just easier to use plywood, because you can get it in 4x8 sheets, same as chipboard.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

Be sure to seal the underside of the board you use by the dishwasher, steam from the drying cycle of the d/w could cause the board to swell and crack the granite.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

i definitely would not use particleboard, the second water touches it, it pretty much disintegrates. Im dealing with this right now with my floors. So, steam from a dishwasher or a leak under your sink would destroy the underlayment. Use plywood. like one of the posters said, 5/8 would probably work but if he told you 3/4, you better use 3/4. I was told that for my floor, to coat the underside with Thompson's Water Seal before i put it down, but im not sure if that would work for a countertop or not. Good luck.

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote