Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
jxr

Rewards Points: 10

Granite countertop corbel support question

I'm in the process of installing corbel supports for my island/bar seating area. My studs are 16" apart center on center. I had this local metal shop fabricate me some L backets out of 1/4" thick 2" flatbar 11 x 11. I have a bunch, but I'm not sure how many to install. I noticed that federal braces recommend supports ever 18", but I feel like thats over kill. I'm trying to decide if I should install one more support on each end and call it good. I don't want to install a support on the last stud because it will make my rock veneer hard to install.

If I install one more support on the 2nd to last stud I'll have a span of 23" to the end of the counter top which has a 12" overhang. Do you think that will be alright? Thanks for the advice.

jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Doozer

Rewards Points: 75

Granite countertop corbel support question

Steel flexes. (Especially an 11" cantilever like those brackets.) Granite doesn't. It is unlikely you will ever regret using too many supports. You will surely regret using too few. If the recommendation is every 18" and your studs are 16" o/c, why not just put one on every stud and not have to worry?

FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote