Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Granite counter top overhang

I am building a granite counter top bar 6'x26" for my back yard. Never done this before. The rectangular piece of straight-edge 3/4" granite is going to sit on 3/4" plywood and the granite/plywood edge on all four sides is going to be finished with wood moulding to match my bbq moulding. This countertop is going to be freestanding, forming one arm of an 'L' shaped outdoor kitchen. On one long side and short side the granite/plywood worktop will have a 1' overhang The only support for the 6'x26" granite/plywood top is going to be a 5' long x 1' thick x 34" high concrete block wall (I am using standard retaining wall blocks 12"L x 8"W x 6"H, that I have left over from another project).
1.Is the overhang likely to put so much stresses on the granite slab when people lean on the overhang that the granite slab cracks? Do I need to support the plywood/granite overhang with angle brackets.
2. To prevent tipping I was considering attaching the plywood to the stone with inset screws to embedded plugs in stone and perhaps metal brackets at the other end. What do you guys think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Granite bar.pdf (30.5 KB, 216 views)

Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Maybe it's just me looking at the drawing wrong....but I'd be concerned with the retaining wall base...it's looks like it might fall over. Usually those blocks are supported by earth or gravel. What's going to hold the structure up?

rod

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Rod
You're. Correct. There is a chance of the wall topplin over. So I intend to support it with some frame under the top course.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I'm sure you're wanting to make good use out of the retaining wall material you've left from another project....but I urge you to rethink your plans. I believe your best interest would be served by constructing the unit from more conventional building materials such as CMUs (concrete masonry units), that you can face with stone of your choice.

I'm just real worried this structure will be dangerous.

r
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

People lean against that I'd bet its going to topple over
You would need something to support the wall
Supporting just the top blocks with a frame won't do it IMO
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

Sumar,

I too think you are kidding yourself with this plan.

You can buy CMU's with a chiseled face that look the same. If you use them the wall can be built and reinforced with re-bar inside the cells and filled with mortar. A cement base/footing should be poured first with "L" re-bar rising from the footing so as to fit inside the cells and be wire-tied to the additional re-bar that will be placed inside the cells ahead of filling them solidly with mortar.

What you are proposing can topple and seriously injure someone. Do you have kids?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #7

OK guys; I won't use the retaining wall blocks. Will use CMUs. But I still have the issue of 12" overhang to create the bar. Would 1/2" plywood with brackets underneath be sufficient support for 1/2" granite tiles? Also I have to cover up the edge with some kind of moulding suitable for outdoor use. If I can paint the moulding I can match my bbq's moulding. Thanks,

Last edited by Sumar; 05-17-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling; addition
Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Tileguy

When using CMU's things change for the better. You can get to the top course then turn two or more CMU's perpendicular to the course to create a support 16" wide for the granite. If a full 8" CMU is too much bulk a cap (3X8X16) could replace a perpendicular CMU at the top of the top course and it would turn to be perpendicular to the course with fillers below it to take up the 5" remaining that would need fill below it.

This is no place for plywood and that thought should be canned.

Let's try this and see if it works for me! Here's a rough sketch.
Attached Thumbnails
Granite counter top overhang-outdoor-bar-support.jpg  

Last edited by Bud Cline; 05-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

I'm confused now.

Are you putting 3/4 " granite on this countertop or are you putting 1/2" granite tiles on this?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #10

Bill - Have not decided whether to splurge on 3/4" granite sheet or to go for the cheaper 1/2" tile. Whichever I use it would be on plywood (1/2" or 3/4").
Bud thanks for the drawings - very clear. I assume the three blocks in the top course turned perpendicular do not need any securing.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Tileguy

Quote:
Bud thanks for the drawings - very clear. I assume the three blocks in the top course turned perpendicular do not need any securing.
Depends! I wouldn't think so but iffin' it were me since I would be filling the empty cells with rebar and mortar I would probably go as far as to extend rebar into the cells of the support blocks and continue filling those cells also.