Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

Granite counter installation

Granite counter top was not cut square. Is it a valid installation to expose the sheet rock so that the granite is inset and properly flush to the front of the cabinet?

AOrdonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #2

I suspect that the granite was cut square, but the walls are not. If you have a grinder with a diamond blade you can trim down the edges of the stone.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #3

It is not cut square 25" (w) at on end and 26" at the other. I agree cutting or grinding is one alternative, but is exposing and recessing the granite into the sheet rock a proper installation? My gut is telling me that it is not,
Old 11-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

If you are dealing with a 1" difference in sides, I don't think you are going to get 1" of depth out of just cutting into or removing the drywall. Most drywall is 1/2", so unless there is a double-layer there, you'd need to notch the studs too - which is not an acceptable way to mount a countertop.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply. Yes, 1 inch difference, but I neglected to state that to recess it so that it is flush to the front of the cabinet (double radius on front edge of granite) was from a 1/4 one side and 3/8 - 1/2 inch on the other end in movement. Also, the wall was not that true as well, so no cutting into the studs. However, I'm still concerned about the installer cutting to the sheet rock to gain the extra movement. Is this comment in the industry? Concerned about possible water damage as there is a kitchen sink involved.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #6

AO,
If the granite was supposed to be cut at say the 26" width all the way, then tell the installer to go back and cut another slab. You can take out part of the drywall, but it sounds like the mistake is on his end. I have seen granite slabs that were cut straight but the wall had a hump in it. So they would notch the drywall in the spot where it stuck out. But in these cases, the wall was causing the granite to show a gap behind that was less than 1/2". When they took out the small bit of drywall, it was flush. The wall being out is not their fault. A slab that is an inch off is.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

who took the measurements for the counter?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

the fabricator who is the sub for the primary contractor.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

then I would expect the counter to be recut. Since they are having to dig one end of it well into the wall, it sounds like all they would have to do is re-cut this slab so it is a consistent depth across the full length.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote