DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Granite counter installation

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  nap 
#1 ·
Granite counter top was not cut square. Is it a valid installation to expose the sheet rock so that the granite is inset and properly flush to the front of the cabinet?

#4 ·
If you are dealing with a 1" difference in sides, I don't think you are going to get 1" of depth out of just cutting into or removing the drywall. Most drywall is 1/2", so unless there is a double-layer there, you'd need to notch the studs too - which is not an acceptable way to mount a countertop.

#5 ·
Thanks for your reply. Yes, 1 inch difference, but I neglected to state that to recess it so that it is flush to the front of the cabinet (double radius on front edge of granite) was from a 1/4 one side and 3/8 - 1/2 inch on the other end in movement. Also, the wall was not that true as well, so no cutting into the studs. However, I'm still concerned about the installer cutting to the sheet rock to gain the extra movement. Is this comment in the industry? Concerned about possible water damage as there is a kitchen sink involved.

#6 ·
AO,
If the granite was supposed to be cut at say the 26" width all the way, then tell the installer to go back and cut another slab. You can take out part of the drywall, but it sounds like the mistake is on his end. I have seen granite slabs that were cut straight but the wall had a hump in it. So they would notch the drywall in the spot where it stuck out. But in these cases, the wall was causing the granite to show a gap behind that was less than 1/2". When they took out the small bit of drywall, it was flush. The wall being out is not their fault. A slab that is an inch off is.
Mike Hawkins:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.