Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Glass shower door for custom angled shower

Hi,

Question for the folks out there with experience planning and/or installing glass shower walls and doors, especially for angled configurations. Shower will be located in a corner and will have 5 walls, 2 of which will be glass - 1 solid, 1 swinging door hung on a stud wall at a 45 degree angle. I've roughed out a curb for the 2 shower glass walls out of 2x4s - have attached some pics to illustrate.

My question: I'd like to attach the shower door with hinges to the stud wall. My better half and I have a bet that my set up will work which is to hinge the door to the stud wall with angled hinges. Better half thinks I need to rip down an angled stud to attach to the end of the stud wall so that the hinges on the shower door will sit flush with the shower door. Hopefully this is illustrative enough ('cause me trying to draw it out would be far worse!).

What say you?

Thanks much,
TooCheap
Attached Images

toocheaptohire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,320

We can see you have never made a shower pan before. Where's the slope?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

Actually, I put in a mud shower pan in the basement bath a couple of years ago. That went well, but I didn't want to go with so much weight on this bath and wanted to try the Kerdi-Schluter pre-sloped pan (you can see it leaning against the wall in the first pic).

BUT....my question is about the angle of the attachment of the shower door - any thoughts?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,220

perhaps you should see whats available before you frame up any more sterling can make custom doors ..or you may find they have a stock door that will save you money and work for your project...neoangle doors.... custom door department...888-367-8989.....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #5

Thanks ben's plumbing - I went on the website and from some architectual drawings for custom doors, it looks like either set up is doable. Definitely need to do more research before proceeding.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocheaptohire View Post
Thanks ben's plumbing - I went on the website and from some architectual drawings for custom doors, it looks like either set up is doable. Definitely need to do more research before proceeding.
welcome.... we used them before seems like a decent company with fair prices for the work they do....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 506

Toocheap,
I'm in the same situation. But, in order to maximize the size of the shower, I ended up with an angled door that isn't even 45 degree. I stopped by the local glass company on Friday. They can do anything. The saleman showed me a couple of things i needed to do, but as for size and measurements, i can do almost anything I want/need toand they will make the door to fit. After I'm all done tiling, THEY come over and take the measurements. THEY install and warranty. Many options regarding frame/frameless, hinges, hardware, glass color/clarity, etc. Not cheap, around $1300, but I get to design and build the shower that I want and fits, knowing that the door will fit perfect.

BTW, my door hinges on the glass wall. One of the things pointed out by the glass man was that the non-hinge jamb needs to be set perpindicular to the glass, to allow the door to swing in as well as out.

My reccomendation is to at least talk to a local custom door mfgr. If you weren't 1000 miles away, I'd recommend this one. ;^)

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote