Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Gap between wall and vanity top. Backsplash tile question.

Alright, we're nearing the end of our bathroom gut and remodel. I had a little oversight, and I'm trying to find the best/quickest solution.

I'm using a freestanding vanity, and since there is no back lip/edge to the counter top, we are going to put one row of glass tile as a backsplash. The idea was to run the edge of the tile flush with the top edge of the counter top. My idiot self didn't account for the thickness of the base molding that is already in place and the fact that the counter top has no overhang. Needless to say, we have a gap between the wall and the top, that even with the tile sitting flush against the drywall, it's too much (see picture below):

I'm using mastic thinset/adhesive, not true mortar based thinset, and I know it's not going to add more than 1/8" of thickness, so even still, as you can see in the picture, the gap will probably be too obvious and thick.

I don't really want to rip the molding off and cut it, and put it back. Aside for the labor, it's going to look ridiculous (it's a four legged vanity, that has tapered legs on all four sides, so cutting the molding to match the contour will be tricky).

Thoughts?

mgh-pa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Gap between wall and vanity top. Backsplash tile question.

Could you also provide a picture of the base of the vanity with the trim in the pic. I am having a hard time picturing why it will be too hard to cut and make work.

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote