Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Galley Kitchen remodel- want input

Thinking about my kitchen remodel. I got 1950's cabinets right now and they gotta go! The cook top and wall oven were redone I believe in the 90's and are electric- more on that later.
It's a narrow galley/corridor style kitchen. I live alone and never throw dinner parties so crowding won't be an issue. But- looking in the future if I ever sell the joint or (god forbid) actually get married
I cook alot and my biggest complaints right now (besides the outdated look):
1) there's not enough counter space. There's only 1 or 1.5 ft between the sink and the cook top. I have a dish rack on the other side of the sink and the remaining space next to that has a blender, food processor etc. The microwave is on the little space next to the :cabinet that goes to the ceiling", I would plan to build that in (not really a fan of microwaves over cooktops) somewhere.
2) The wall oven makes the place look smaller/narrower than it already is. It's this huge pillar there which is directly infront of the chimney and fridge and cabinet that goes to the ceiling. I want to either move it or go for a range.
Anyway here is a crude drawing below. It is not to scale. Ive been doin some research on galley kitchens and kitchens in general and it does follow the minimum 24" depth for counter space and ideal 36" height and has the kitchen triangle design. I don't want to move the sink position, I like it overlooking the window. I'll get rid of the cabinet next to the fridge that goes to the ceiling for more counter space.

My questions:
1) What advantages are there to having a wall oven/cook top vs a range? (besides being higher up) In this situation it would free up counter space and open the room up, I would move the range over some to give me more room between the sink and the cook unit. I certainly dont have a problem putting stuff into the oven at range level.
2) Would anybody put the cooking surface/range to where the fridge is now? Then move the fridge to the side with the sink and the cook top/range side currently with the fridge- my only hesitation on this- is unless I got a cabinet style fridge, it would stick up high and also create the "wall" effect that I'm trying to get rid of.
Any other suggestions for a galley kitchen?

cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Galley Kitchen remodel- want input

Quote:
What advantages are there to having a wall oven/cook top vs a range? (besides being higher up)
Often with a wall oven there is storage of some sort above or below it that you lose if you go with a range. It's a trade off. Storage or counter space.

Quote:
Would anybody put the cooking surface/range to where the fridge is now? Then move the fridge to the side with the sink and the cook top/range side currently with the fridge
I wouldn't for the same reasons you mention. Putting the range where the wall oven or cooktop is should enable you to leave that area to the dining room open.

The only other idea that I'd throw out there is to move the wall oven to where the 24" counter is, and build the microwave above the oven (or get a wall oven/microwave combo) to free up counter space, but I'm really not crazy about this idea.

Your plan sounds good. Is there anything above the 24" counter? If not, you could probably add upper wall cabinets and not lose much storage.

Your plan is also budget friendly by keeping things in the same general area. When you start moving major appliances from wall to wall things get expensive.

Last edited by Blondesense; 06-11-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote