FRP Vs Tile For Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

FRP vs tile for shower

Plan on re doing my bathroom and was thinking about using Fiberglass reinforced plastic (or FRP) in place of tile in the shower stall. I figure this may help prevent mold growth. Of course for the rest of the bathroom I thought purple board would replace the dry wall, behind the shower cement backerboard.

Thoughts on the FRP? Anyone install this stuff in their shower?

Advertisement

ajtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

FRP vs tile for shower

FRP uses loose-fitting couplings (plastic strips) for the seams and corners. They would have to be 100% sealed.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

FRP vs tile for shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
FRP uses loose-fitting couplings (plastic strips) for the seams and corners. They would have to be 100% sealed.
Best stuff to do the job? Silicone?

My house is formed concrete and the bathroom has 1 concrete wall and the ceiling (floor of upstairs) has concrete (and steel plate holding the cement). I read that a vapor barrier would not be good for that, but what about the laundry room (to the west) and the spare bedroom (to the east) inside walls? Should these have a vapor barrier?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #4

FRP vs tile for shower

After thinking about things a bit, I think tile may be the way to go. There is so much more you can do with tile design wise then you can with the sterile FRP.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Tileguy

FRP vs tile for shower

Quote:
My house is formed concrete and the bathroom has 1 concrete wall and the ceiling (floor of upstairs) has concrete (and steel plate holding the cement). I read that a vapor barrier would not be good for that, but what about the laundry room (to the west) and the spare bedroom (to the east) inside walls? Should these have a vapor barrier?
Why? What vapor would you be barricading?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

FRP vs tile for shower

Quote:
Why? What vapor would you be barricading?
Water / condensation from going into the next room. Something I was not sure if I needed or not. I keep reading about vapor barriers. I take it if the bathroom is done right, I would not need this between the bathroom and the room next to it?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Tileguy

FRP vs tile for shower

Quote:
Water / condensation from going into the next room. Something I was not sure if I needed or not. I keep reading about vapor barriers. I take it if the bathroom is done right, I would not need this between the bathroom and the room next to it?
Any comments I have seen about vapor-barriers is always referring to shower walls. Vapor barriers are now routinely used in building shower walls (inside a shower) but wouldn't be needed most all other places.

Moisture resistant drywall is used in bathrooms a lot but also isn't totally necessary.

You also wouldn't use moisture resistant drywall "behind" cement board in a shower, what would be the purpose of that? Moisture resistant drywall IS NOT waterproof, it is only moisture resistant. Cement board is not waterproof nor moisture resistant. Cement board simply is not damaged when it gets wet.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #8

FRP vs tile for shower

Quote:
Any comments I have seen about vapor-barriers is always referring to shower walls. Vapor barriers are now routinely used in building shower walls (inside a shower) but wouldn't be needed most all other places.

Moisture resistant drywall is used in bathrooms a lot but also isn't totally necessary.

You also wouldn't use moisture resistant drywall "behind" cement board in a shower, what would be the purpose of that? Moisture resistant drywall IS NOT waterproof, it is only moisture resistant. Cement board is not waterproof nor moisture resistant. Cement board simply is not damaged when it gets wet.
So if I understand this right... in the shower stall I just need cement board (and the joint and screw sealent) and on top of that glue then tiles then grout? The rest of the bathroom should be good for some type of dry wall, I am thinking purple board
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Tileguy

FRP vs tile for shower

Quote:
So if I understand this right... in the shower stall I just need cement board (and the joint and screw sealent) and on top of that glue then tiles then grout?
There is more than one way to do this. Based on the path you seem to have chosen...
  1. VAPOR BARRIER on the studs, either roofing felt or 4-6mil poly.
  2. CEMENT BOARD. Screwed to the studs.
  3. MODIFIEDTHINSET TILE MORTAR (not glue).
  4. TAPE, alkali resistant mesh tape. Tape the joints as you go and use the above thinset to fill the joints as you go.
  5. GROUT.

Now what are your plans for the shower receptor? That's the hard part.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #10

FRP vs tile for shower

Well, I got the shower open and started in on the rest of the dry wall. I did find some mold (the reason for the gutting). I also found some rotted wood from water damage. Also found a really screwed up bathroom. My house is formed concrete. The bottom of the shower is just molded in, in concrete. At one time, there was tile on the concrete wall. Most of that was removed and a wood frame was built in place. The studs on the wall are nailed in (barely). One stud is missing now because it was moldy.

When the bathroom was re done (before we got the place) 1/2" drywall was used for 2/3 of the shower! The back wall and side was drywalled. Behind the shower head (front of shower) was also drywall, but they did put greenboard behind it. It was water damaged as is the wood in the bottom of the shower stall. So that needs replaced. It too is just nailed to the concrete. Some studs are too short and there are some knooks and crannies. I should be able to save some of the wood.

The rest of the bathroom, the drywall went to the floor, actually the bottom of the drywall is LOWER then the tile, so of course this allows water to seep into the dry wall. It gets really humid in the shower, but a lot of this could have prevented with a better shower head. The first one just sprayed all over from the head. A lot of pressure which would suck in the curtain allowing steam to get out and condensate on EVERYTHING.

So, here is what I got to do:
-Fix the frame for the shower, replace bad wood and short studs. Clean what I can. Drill the holes into the concrete for the studs on that wall (is this a good idea since this is my outside wall in the basement we are talking about? Should I just leave the studs float against the concrete wall?)

- Wrap shower in cement board and seal the seams and screw holes
- re-tile shower
- hang fresh dry wall for the rest of the bathroom. Since it gets really humid, use purple board
- Since the floor tile is put directly on the concrete floor, there is a gap where the old drywall actually set into the floor. So the edge of the drywall actually sets about 1/4" under the tile floor. WTF!? I wondered if tiling the last 12" of the wall to the floor would work. Or is there a better solution?
- New toilet!
- New sink cabinets and extended counter!
- Install a sliding shower door!
- Paint with a quality paint instead of that cheap stuff they put in.
- A few other things like sealing the floor and shower
Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Tileguy

FRP vs tile for shower

Pictures !

This thread needs lots of pictures !

I'm thinking you are working behind some kind of a Rue Goldberg and asking for trouble.

There is no reason to drill the exterior walls just to install some wood studs, that wouldn't be the way to do it I don't think.

NEED PICTURES !
Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #12

FRP vs tile for shower

Will try to get some photos when I get back in there. Work keeping me busy this week

Advertisement