Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

FRP for use over tub/shower unit

I'm thinking of using FRP(fiberglass reinforced panel) in my tub/shower area. The walls of the tub/shower are 72in. high which leaves approximately 16 inches of vertical wall and the ceiling which need to be covered with something water resistant. I don't want to tile and was wondering if anyone had utilized FRP in this manner, also how sucessful were they. I'm also open to other suggestions in order to cover these surfaces. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks
James1ret

James1ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1ret View Post
I'm thinking of using FRP(fiberglass reinforced panel) in my tub/shower area. The walls of the tub/shower are 72in. high which leaves approximately 16 inches of vertical wall and the ceiling which need to be covered with something water resistant. I don't want to tile and was wondering if anyone had utilized FRP in this manner, also how sucessful were they. I'm also open to other suggestions in order to cover these surfaces. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks
James1ret
Call the company and ask if the product is rated for use in a shower.
There are kits for shower walls sold in stores all over. do an internet search and you'll find plenty to choose from. Local big box stores sell them along with plumbing supply houses.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 03-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
James1ret (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Tileguy

Actually FRP will work. There is a hitch however. The panels require the use of plastic channel corners and unions and terminators. It is most important to be sure and fill the channel 100% with 100% silicone caulk during the assembly process. This makes a helluva mess and the silicone purges all over. Use a rag with denatured alchohol to keep cleaning up as you go. Don't wait to clean a purge, clean it immediately.

Install to the substrate with the proper construction adhesive.
James1ret (03-04-2011)