Formica All-in-one Counter Top And Blacksplash Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Formica all-in-one counter top and blacksplash Question

I want to install a new tile back splash but my existing backsplash is an all-in-one piece of laminate with the counter top. It curves ever so slightly at the 45 degree angle where the wall meets the counter. I would like to cut it at that curve so that I can lay tile at directly on the countertop and have a proper 45 degree angle when the job is complete. What tool would I use to cut the laminiate in that curve?

Advertisement

Sherleemah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

I always remove the countertop and use a circular saw.

Advertisement

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
I always remove the countertop and use a circular saw.
And lay down some wide masking or even duct tape where you will make the cut to help keep the laminate in place if a tip of the saw blade tries to lift it loose. Make sure you have a nice, SHARP, saw blade.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Been about 10 - 15 years since I cut formica laminate counters (with the formed backsplash), but soon I'm going to be doing it again. Seems I recall always cutting from the bottom so the saw blade cuts INTO the laminate. Is that not a better/safer way than from the top and using tape to thwart/limit chipping? And a high tooth count carbide blade?
That's a question I've been worrying about as the job approaches.
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

From what you describe I am not sure if you are talking about a postformed counter top. If you are, the radius you talk about would be out more than tile will cover. The backsplash should be about 3/4" thick no matter how you cut it. Formica is a dying method, but if you can find a supplier, or maybe on line, there used to be tools, somewhat like a utility knife, with a piece of carbide in the tip. It scores a knife like groove in the surface and the formica can snap like glass. The base material is usually particle board with a joint in the corner that we used to bend and snap it off after scored. Again this is a guess as I can't tell if you have a postformed from the description.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote