Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

Followed all the information but,,,,

Yesterday I finished a job of removing the old tile and gyproc in a bathroom around the tub. Yes, gyproc. I won't go into all the problems I had to overcome from the original installation but let me say this place was not put together by a professional carpenter, plumber or tiler. (maybe the same guy did it all) It may have been his job but by no means a quality job. Anyway, my thanks to everyone who has ever submitted ideas to this or other forums. Your information proved invaluable. I ended up with a superior job that will last for years to come. Only one problem that wasn't mentioned anywhere and I too took for it granted.

The bathroom is in an apartment style condominium. With a concrete floor I didn't check for level. Who would have thought? Well not me. At the back of the tub I have my 1/8 inch gap between tile and tub for caulking. I made sure the tile remained level for my starting second course. After they dried and I took down the 1x3 to install the last row is when I found there is a 3/4 inch gap at the front of the tub. (I've confirmed the tilt is in the floor.) Far too much to caulk I believe. Tiles are 9 inches wide and 12 high. I thought of removing the bottom row and going with a larger tile cut to proper size but I don't believe the same tile colour is available in a bigger size. Next thought is removing the bottom row, adding a decorative tile 2 to 3 inches high then installing new 9x12 cut to a proper size.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if I have to remove the bottom row how difficult will it be to keep from damaging tiles above? I used concrete wallboard, Redgard and mortar as I should have.

Thanks all.

Vica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

Running a decorative border around the tub would do the job. Run it under the tile and use the field tile, cut to size down to the tub.
Is the tub pitch angled so it drains properly?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #3

Yes, the tub is tilted to the front so drainage isn't a problem. I thought of trying to tile inside the existing gap just under the front where the gap is 3/4 of an inch would mean that with grout I'd have to use 1/2 inch strips. A problem would be the long side where the gap goes from 1/8 tilting down to the 3/4. Almost impossible for me to get that to look right.

Yesterday I looked at putting a 1 inch tile all the way around the tube. One inch on a twelve inch tile would look just fine but it would mean cutting the tile with an angle grinder and hoping there would be no damage to the tile above the cut. I might have to do that but here's what I tried first.

The tile design also has a 3 inch tile that tapers off on one side. I assume it is for use as a top row. I placed a row of those along the bottom matched up with the large tile and it looks OK. I attached them with silicone to see what it would look like. In our old house we had soap dishes in the corner of the shower that the tiller just attached with silicone and they lasted for years. If silicone alone doesn't work then I can pry them off and use a more secure PL product which I didn't do first because if it didn't work I didn't want to stain the large tile. What do you think? Will siliconing the small tile on work or do I need to PL it on?

Or do I need to go with the cut and 1 inch tiles?

Thanks Ron.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vica View Post
Yes, the tub is tilted to the front so drainage isn't a problem. I thought of trying to tile inside the existing gap just under the front where the gap is 3/4 of an inch would mean that with grout I'd have to use 1/2 inch strips. A problem would be the long side where the gap goes from 1/8 tilting down to the 3/4. Almost impossible for me to get that to look right.

Yesterday I looked at putting a 1 inch tile all the way around the tube. One inch on a twelve inch tile would look just fine but it would mean cutting the tile with an angle grinder and hoping there would be no damage to the tile above the cut. I might have to do that but here's what I tried first.

The tile design also has a 3 inch tile that tapers off on one side. I assume it is for use as a top row. I placed a row of those along the bottom matched up with the large tile and it looks OK. I attached them with silicone to see what it would look like. In our old house we had soap dishes in the corner of the shower that the tiller just attached with silicone and they lasted for years. If silicone alone doesn't work then I can pry them off and use a more secure PL product which I didn't do first because if it didn't work I didn't want to stain the large tile. What do you think? Will siliconing the small tile on work or do I need to PL it on?

Or do I need to go with the cut and 1 inch tiles?

Thanks Ron.
Posting a picture would really help the visual.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

I will try and get a photo within a day or so.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #6

Two of the tiles I put siliconed together just as a test came apart very easily. It's not good enough that I would use. So, next step is to cut out the bottom of the tile so I have a 1 inch empty strip between the tile and the tub. I will put in the small 3/4 inch tiles as a decorator strip. If I damage the tiles cutting them then I will try for another cut that will fit a larger 2 inch decorator strip. Failing that I will have to knock out the whole 12 inch tile. Put a decorator strip in and then cut new 12 inch tiles to fit down to the tub. Getting to the last one replacing the whole tile will probably also mean ripping out the concrete wall board and starting over from scratch for the bottom row. Oh well, just need to get at it. My own fault.

Thanks