First Time Hardibacker Installation Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

First time hardibacker installation questions

Hey guys and gals,

I am creating a 4 x 6 tile foyer for the entrance to my living room. I already cut out the particle board underlayment to reach the original 3/4" plank flooring subfloor and cut my hardibacker to fit it. The hardibacker website says to:

Quote:
  1. Attach HardieBacker® cement board to subfloor
  2. Apply a supporting bed of mortar or modified thinset to subfloor using a 1/4" square-notched trowel.
  • Embed HardieBacker cement board firmly and evenly in the wet mortar.
  • Use the fastener pattern as a guide. Fasten HardieBacker cement board with specified nails or screws (as listed in "Materials Required") every 8" over the entire surface. Keep fasteners 3/8" from board edges and 2" in from board corners.
  • Set fastener heads flush with the surface without overdriving.
  1. Tape joints prior to tiling
  2. Prior to setting the tile, fill all joints with the same mortar used to set the tiles.
  • Embed 2" wide high-strength alkali-resistant glass fiber tape in the mortar and level.

• So today I plan on setting the hardibacker in a modified thinset using a 1/4" trowel and then screw down with the appropriate screws. Is there any issue with applying thinset to this subfloor since it is not a wet area? The installation instructions say to tape and fill the joints with the same mortar used to set the tile. Will I be using modified thinset to set my tile (I will be laying porcelain or tumbled stone)? And if that is the case, should I mud and tape the joints NOW or do it JUST PRIOR to setting the tile? If I do it to just prior to setting the tile, do I set the tile while the mud/taped areas are still not cured? It seems to me that if I do that, then I will end up scraping the tape with the trowel when applying thinset for the tile? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It doesn't sound like you have an adequate base for the tile. Putting hardie on what you described won't be rigid enough for tile. There should be an exterior plywood layer put over the 1x6's. The 1x6's should be rescrewed to make sure they are tight to the joists.
The ply(minimum 5/8") should be glued and screwed to the 1x6's. Then the hardi installed.
The tile area will be higher then the adjacent floor.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It doesn't sound like you have an adequate base for the tile. Putting hardie on what you described won't be rigid enough for tile. There should be an exterior plywood layer put over the 1x6's. The 1x6's should be rescrewed to make sure they are tight to the joists.
The ply(minimum 5/8") should be glued and screwed to the 1x6's. Then the hardi installed.
The tile area will be higher then the adjacent floor.

Too late. I thinsetted it down yesterday. Guess we'll find out if it's rigid enough! Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
Too late. I thinsetted it down yesterday. Guess we'll find out if it's rigid enough! Thanks for the reply.
Hope springs eternal, tuna.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Quote:
Well there ya go.

For anyone reading this that cares to do it correctly here's the deal straight from the tile industry FWIW Department:

1. Tile backer (Hardibacker) should not be applied directly to any slat subfloor.
2. Stone tile requires a sub-structure twice the strenghth of what is required for ceramic tile.
3. Stone tile requires two layers of subfloor. The top layer being "Exterior Grade Exposure 1" plywood.
Ron6519 (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Well there ya go.

For anyone reading this that cares to do it correctly here's the deal straight from the tile industry FWIW Department:

1. Tile backer (Hardibacker) should not be applied directly to any slat subfloor.
2. Stone tile requires a sub-structure twice the strenghth of what is required for ceramic tile.
3. Stone tile requires two layers of subfloor. The top layer being "Exterior Grade Exposure 1" plywood.
Looks like we'll be going with ceramic then!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Quote:
Looks like we'll be going with ceramic then!
Good idea.

A minimum of 3/8" plywood (7 ply) is required to tame the slat flooring. Then a fresh bed of thinset for the Hardibacker.

Advertisement