Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Final Steps Cabinet Re-Finishinh

I have a few questions and I know there are numerous experts as well as DIY'ers on this forum.

I could not find any of this info using the search here, if this has been covered I apologize.

Let me start by saying I consider myself a very knowledgeable DIY'er, I have done all kinds of home improvement projects for many years so I am not new to remodeling

I am remodeling my kitchen, I had existing cabinets that were physically in good condition but didn't have enough cabinets. So I have added cabinets on the opposite side of the room from the same manufacturer, i.e. the styles are the same. Since I knew I was going to re-finish the existing cabinets darker I ordered the new one RAW i.e. no finish.

I know to get good results going to a darker color i.e. espresso/coffee I need to strip the existing cabinets of all the finish, which I am now at about 70% completion. FYI I used Soy Gel Stripper and let me say I was very pleased with that product. Not fast but certainly not harsh nor does it smell bad.

So I have started getting the bids for applying the finish i.e. stain and final protective coats.

I have never had any luck using stains, i.e. my jobs have always be blotchy and ugly so I am willing to pay for this step to get a professional look.

It seems every bidder uses a different product for the final finish, i.e. Polyurethane, Lacquer, Catalyzed lacquer. Of course I will only accepted a sprayed finish.

From what I have read it seems that Polyurethane is the less desirable and that Lacquers tend to be the better more preferred finish. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now what I would like to know is are there real difference in durability between Lacquers and Catalyzed lacquer?

Are there other finishes that the experts would recommend?

Any advice/experience's you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much for your input
Bill

bdavid50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

Final Steps Cabinet Re-Finishinh

Ive always been told you should never poly your cabinets so thats its easier to fix nicks and scratches. it may be different with stain vs paint, but it makes sense to me. If you insist on using it, i would go with the poly.