Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Fibreglass bathtub repair

Good morning from Toronto
We recently had our bathtub replaced with a fiberglass tub
The plumber, who was recommended to me (I don't trust myself when it comes to soldering), had to do a small soldering job, and he flicked excess solder into the tub, where it burned the finish on the tub. I didn't notice it at first until everything was in place. When I pointed it out to him he shrugged and walked out. Doesn't answer calls or anything now. It doesn't help that he has not requested payment
So now I am stuck with two marks in my new bathtub's otherwise perfect finish!
Can anyone recommend a product that we can use to cover the marks?
Thnx and have a great weekend!

Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Get a gel coat repair kit, a marine supply store or even an auto parts store will have them. You can buy tints to color match the tub. If its just a surface mark you may be able to just sand it out using progressively finer grits, finishing with a 600 grit wet sandpaper. Then using the clear resin to fill in the mark. If its deeper do the sanding but tint the resin to match and fill the mark.

Cetfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

No way would I do as Cetfuzzy suggested.
It's the so called plumbers job to make the repair, He should have known enough with ways to prevent the damage.
Not asking for final payment is a good thing. Make sure to take some pictures just incase he tries to collect final payment.
Short of that a slurry of baking soda and water, rubbing compound, or even tooth paste should buff it out.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Good morning from Toronto
We recently had our bathtub replaced with a fiberglass tub
The plumber, who was recommended to me (I don't trust myself when it comes to soldering), had to do a small soldering job, and he flicked excess solder into the tub, where it burned the finish on the tub. I didn't notice it at first until everything was in place. When I pointed it out to him he shrugged and walked out. Doesn't answer calls or anything now. It doesn't help that he has not requested payment
So now I am stuck with two marks in my new bathtub's otherwise perfect finish!
Can anyone recommend a product that we can use to cover the marks?
Thnx and have a great weekend!
Don't pay him just yet. I would seek out a local professional that does Gel-Coat and hire it done. Deduct the cost from what you owe the plumber if you owe him enough to cover the cost.

I wouldn't suggest you do it yourself. Those repair kits target DIY'ers but good results aren't that easy to get.

Usually an auto-body repair shop that does Fiberglas (Corvettes) would have the products and talent to make the repair. Not that they do that type of bathroom work but you might inquire of a few of them to see if they will make a house call.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

I agree- contact a plumbing supply shop in your area and ask them for a repair guy. They will have some names.

Or try a gentle home remedy first. I cant imagine much more than surface damage
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I do this for a living, repair and refinish/reglaze tubs, tile and surrounds. It can be spot repaired and color matched, and since most tubs are bright white gloss the refinisher will have it. If they are as small as you say, shouldn't cost more than 50 to 75 dollars to repair and refinish.
Ebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #7

Thanks to all of you
(There will be no payment to the man - he knows that he messed up and that's why he avoids me.)
I'll hunt down a refinish guy, I think (and not let him use a soldering gun )
Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

Miracle Method's fiberglass refinishing products this has really helped in removing the stains and marks from our step in tub. I highly recommend this.

Last edited by karenchamp; 11-24-2014 at 01:17 AM.
karenchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #9

Thanks Karen and to all for the input
In the end I took a little bit of white silicone sealant, smoothed it into the marks and presto! if you don't know it's there (I always will) you won't notice it