Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fasten glass bartop to granite counter?

We'd like to fasten a raised glass bartop to our granite counter, but we can't find any fabricators who know how to do it. I've seen it done on DIY shows but only the finished product, not how they actually fasten the stainless steel supports to either the granite or the glass. Does anyone know how this is done?

WoodyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

If you're talking about having a bolt or stud protruding from the granite so you can place a support over it and then bolt it down, it should be the same procedure as installing an undermount sink. The fabricators drill a hole in the bottom of the slab similar in dimension to the bolt or stud to be used. They then use epoxy to hold the stud into the stone. I assume it would be the same procedure for above the counter as well. I figure it would hold as well or better since you don't have gravity pulling against you in this case.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

My question would be why does it need to be fastened at all? How raised is this? Is it just floating just above the granite or is it raised up like 12 inches or something?
Mike Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #4

What you are looking for are called Standoffs - they are typically made of Stainless Steel and are available in brushed or high polished finishes. The company I represent actually makes them in many different sizes, they are completely custom and built to order. If interested do a search for Stainless Steel Countertop Pro or Brooks Custom.

The basic idea is the metal standoff is screwed into the stone from below - it then holds up the glass by means of a threaded rod that will go through a hole made in the glass, a matching metal cap is screwed down onto that threaded rod which holds the glass in place - you will need several of those and a professional can tell you just how many and which type are best for your particular situation.
StStPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #5

If I may post a link - http://stainlesssteel.pro or http://www.brookscustom.com - thanks!
StStPro is offline   Reply With Quote