Epoxy Countertop - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

epoxy countertop

can i put an epoxy finish on top of a formica countertop to make it look like granite or concrete, etc.

Advertisement

southard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

epoxy countertop

I have never heard of such a thing. Have you got a particular finish in mind? Epoxy is normally a clear finish, unless you add a colorant, which would look nothing like stone or finished concrete. Plus it would be difficult or impossible to get the epoxy to dry flat on formica, and it might not adhere very well.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 724

epoxy countertop

Go to Home Depot and look at the new counter tops there stocking. They have a roman ogee edge on the front and back.
They will hold up far better then any painted on coating, and look like real stone.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 35

epoxy countertop

I'm surprised no one on here seems to have any experience with this. I haven't actually done it, but I've been doing tons of on-line research and have found several different products and also some basic DIY videos. Rustoleum Countertop Transformations is an epoxy type product and has good reviews. There's also a product called Giani Granite countertop system, which is sponge paining with a epoxy-type overlay. I've seen several folks have painted, either with the granite faux finish spray paint or sponge paint, then cover that with either several layers of poly acrylic or with an epoxy resin called Envirotex Lite. The key seems to be to sand and prime very well. My countertops are hideous and I'm going to try the granite spray paint and poly, because the budget is tight and I can't really ruin them.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilion For This Useful Post:
lborries (01-06-2013)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 724

epoxy countertop

Stop By Home Depot and look at the new type counter tops there carrying. There formica but have a Roman Ogee edge at the front and back and look just like stone.
I installed them in a rental I own and the tenet just loves them. Best part was they were cheap.
I would have spend more money and taken way more time to try and coat them with a coating that would not hold up as well.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

epoxy countertop

See the concurrent post running and others. This comes up all the time and people seem to be having reasonable luck with countertop refinishing kits that are epoxy based.

Faux Counter Tops

Be mindful you are just putting a very thin layer of material on a laminate that by nature is going to try to resist adhesion. These products have not been out long enough to know how they will last. Bacteria growing in micro-fissures and cracks, and chips falling off into food would concern me.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

epoxy countertop

I am curious, does anyone have experience with Granicrete products? I'm interested in hearing about whether the lighter colors yellow...I've heard about some UV protectant...does that work?

Thanks!!
cbarnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

epoxy countertop

Lazy Granite is a cheap way of getting the granite look
PropertyManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6

epoxy countertop

sand them, acrylic paint however you want (see Youtube- how to paint granite / marble countertops), epoxy over the top. Looks *****in and super inexpensive.

Advertisement

ebshep is offline   Reply With Quote