The Elevation Of The Tiles From Mud Job - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

the elevation of the tiles from mud job

After the professional did the mud job for our bathroom, I notice instantly the height from the top of tile to the base adjacent to wood floor in the hall way is 1 and 5/8 " . Is that within the "legal" range so the contractors wont be responsible for any reason?
But I still sense the lift that You dont sense with the saddle separate the tiles in bath and wood floor in hall way.
The contractor said it was stated in the contract that if a mud job is necessary, but it did not say the height between floor tiles and base.
Can you tell me the comfortable range of the elevation after tiles were installed?I feel it's too much with this 1 & 5/8".... Help me.

Advertisement

bumbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Our computer glitch got you---Is the new floor 1 5/8" above the height of the surrounding floor?

Not sure what method the installer used---how was the floor prepared for the tile?

Was additional plywood needed?

1 5/8" is a tall change in elevation,but could be lived with if the transition was well done---

Post a picture if you can--tell us what you can about the installers method.----Mike---

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

to me it seems like the top of the tile is 1-5/8 below the top of the baseboard which it would be if they had 3 inch base like i see everywhere. i don't know of any legal range for baseboard height. if it is 1-5/8 above the wood floor it needs a transition piece made to fit.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

1 5/8" height to the top of the tile is well within safety range. I didn't think anybody did mudjobs anymore these days. You must have gotten lucky and hired somebody who knew what he was doing!
Just make sure that your professional puts a hollywood bevel granite or marble saddle for easy transition.
Hope you like your tile. It's going to last for the next 30-40 years!
King of mud is offline   Reply With Quote