Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Share |

durock/wonderboard

I have just finished installing durock in my bathroom. I will be floating the seams with the mesh tape made for durock and thin set. My question is how to float the corners. From past experience mesh tape does not lay well in corners. I've heard of others using silicon in the corners....what do yall think. Also , is there any need to float between the durock and where it meets my wetrock.

bserene_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #2

durock/wonderboard

Cut the tape to length and prebend it by hand in half.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

durock/wonderboard

It doesn't have to lay well in the corners. Is this going to be your finished wall, or are you going to tile over it?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

durock/wonderboard

I'm going to be tiling over it. Just wasn't sure how critical a 90 degree corner was. Thanks for yalls reply. Any advice on what to float the seams of wonderboard where it meets wetrock with? Is it necessary? Silicon or thinset? I just can't have a very wide float between the two because I will be texturing and painting down pretty close to where the two meet. Within about an inch. I appreciate any info.
bserene_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

durock/wonderboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bserene_25 View Post
I'm going to be tiling over it. Just wasn't sure how critical a 90 degree corner was. Thanks for yalls reply. Any advice on what to float the seams of wonderboard where it meets wetrock with? Is it necessary? Silicon or thinset? I just can't have a very wide float between the two because I will be texturing and painting down pretty close to where the two meet. Within about an inch. I appreciate any info.
You can wedge the tape in there after you butter it a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
DIY staff

durock/wonderboard

If you will be adding tile without waterproofing the surface of the Durrock---simply press the mesh into the thinset as you tile---no need to tape and mesh before hand----there is a risk of creating high spots.

If you will be painting on a waterproof membrane --mesh and thinset before you waterproof--very thin so no hump---the waterproofing will fill small openings---

Where the drywall meets the rock should be a 'dry area'---if so the use of powdered drywall mud could be used---

bserene_25 (01-09-2013), Windows on Wash (12-26-2012)