Durock Install - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Durock Install

How important is it that the studs be 'straight edge' straight? I'm about to hang durock and have found that some of the studs (already shimmed) are sticking out a bit further than others....say about 1/8" to 3/16" difference at the crowns (crowns are pointing away from shower).

Should I take the time to get them all perfectly flush, adding fill-in shims at the crowns, or does it matter?

Thanks.

Advertisement

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

Durock Install

Great question.

Have you ever tried tiling a beach ball? Of course not, but you can imagine the lippage, especially if you used 6" tile.

This exaggeration shows how your wall will look if it bows out. The problem is amplified as you use larger tile.

First, buy the best lumber you can find. I always go with douglas fir, but you can get finger jointed studs as well which will be straighter.

Secondly, I crown every other way. That is, crown up, crown down, and so on. I think the logic is that when you sheathe, everything will even out.

Thirdly, consider sheathing the inside of the wall with some 3/4" plywood first before your tile backer. Or 1/2" OSB. That won't break the bank. Then you'll have something to put a screw in everywhere.

Finally, use small tile. 6" tile on walls are plenty big.

If you do these things, you will probably end up with straight walls and be able to use larger tile. If you use smaller tile, and there are some bows, you won't see them as easily.

Advertisement

cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
rightit (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

Durock Install

Hi Cleveman. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Thirdly, consider sheathing the inside of the wall with some 3/4" plywood first before your tile backer. Or 1/2" OSB. That won't break the bank. Then you'll have something to put a screw in everywhere.
I neglected to mention that the wall in question is existing, cast iron shower pan installed . But I was hoping that the durock would be rigid enough (like the plyboard) to straighten out any discrepencies. I guess the crowns could still be an issue though.

If 1/2" wouldn't help, would 5/8" Durock do the trick, or is that too heavy for a wall application?

I'm not sure if I could get 3/4" ply on that wall along with the Durock, but even if I could, I assumed that plyboard behind durock would present moisture issues?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 628

Durock Install

You won't know what will straighten the wall until you do it.

You may need to spend some time with a straightedge and put in some of those non-compressable shims as necessary in the low spots.

I much prefer densshield over durock. You had better read the instructions for durock. I think they want some plastic behind it or you waterproof the entire face? Densshield is easy to work with and you don't need to waterproof the entire face. When you use some cement board type product and it is not coated with waterproofing, it is more difficult to work with because it sucks the moisture out of the mortar so quickly.

Small tiles are your friend.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

Durock Install

Thank you for all of your good advice. I guess I have some work to do.