Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #1

Share |

Durock before bathtub is there?

Hi all,

We are remodeling our house, and ripped out old bathtub and cultured marble walls. I am not that confident in my DIY skills, so hired a contractor to install the new bathtub. This is one that goes up against three walls, with the face of the tub showing.

Anyhow, the contractor I hired just put up the durock before having the tub in place. Doesn't the tub have to be in place, so the durock can be place 1/4" from the flange of the tub? I thought a contractor would know this. Also, one of the walls (opposite valve) seems like it needed to be fured out to meet the tub, and was not. That side bends quite a bit (old house), so extra framing would have helped.

The contractor just wants to "give us a shelf". Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

I am very tempted to fire this guy, and just do it myself.

Thanks,
Steve

PS what are the benefits of redgard over a poly sheet?

archsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #2

Steve,
I am sure others will chime in here, but I normally like to put the tub in first. I will bet the specs ahead of time and frame accordingly. Even with that, I don't see an advantage to putting the durock in first. More to get in the way, and if the tub doesn't fit like it is supposed to, it is a lot harder to correct. Do you have any pics you can post. I don't like the idea of a small ledge unless you specifically wanted one. Looks like a mistake.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Tileguy

The creation of a needless ledge will also create waterproofing issues at the junctures. The tubs that are made with a "nailing flange" on three sides are made that way for a reason and they are NOT intended to lap on top of the wall board. They are intended to have the wallboard lap-over the flange or in the case of cement board and ceramic tile the wall board can stop at the top of the flange and then be caulked.

I would keep an eye on this guy I think you are headed for problems.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
DIY staff

I agree, Typical installation--Tub first---add new studs to correct any framing problems--

then a new mixing valve --last durrock--

Never seen it done the way you described.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #5

Its very frustrating. Tonight I noticed a 2x4 in front of, and attached to, the durock on the back wall. I suppose he is planning to put the tub on that somehow. Its my understanding that the durock should come to within a 1/4" of the flange of the tub. By the way, is the flange the same thing as the lip of the tub?

Where might I find official documentation to show him what he is doing is not the normal process?

I took some pictures with my camera, but not very clear.

Thanks for feedback!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
DIY staff

Google bathtub installation--lots of pictures.

The more you tell us--the scarier these guys sound-----You might want to pay them for the work that they have done and send them packing.---Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by archsteve View Post

Where might I find official documentation to show him what he is doing is not the normal process?

Thanks for feedback!
Go to the manufacturer's website. Most have technical information with drawings and/or pics of proper installation.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
is the flange the same thing as the lip of the tub?
This makes me wonder if you chose a drop in tub? Can you post of pic of the tub you chose?

Are you installing a shower above it?
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #9

Here is the tub.
http://www.bootz.com/Downloads/Kona.pdf
Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Tileguy

Typically, that type of tub sits in the opening with 2X4's "under" the three walled sides. The underside of the top surface of the tub would get siliconed to hold it onto the 2x4's at the three walls. The (so-called) "tiling-flange" is there to shed water. This assumes one will use a shower in conjunction with the tub. The wallboard, if placed over the tiling flange, would curve towards the tub as it laps over the tiling flange. This would cause flat-wall issues when it came to tiling the walls. The flange is however intended to be behind the wallboard so as to trap the tub in place. In the case of installing ceramic tile...another acceptable way to install the wallboard is to stop the bottom edge of the wallboard against the top edge of the tiling flange and then silicone that juncture. Tile then overlaps the small void at the tiling flange and can be filled with thinset when installing the tile. This juncture does not get grouted, it should have caulk.

IT IS CRITICAL that the tub be siliconed or glued to the 2X4's under the tub so that when filled with water and people the tub won't flex and break the wall tile.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 06-25-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
archsteve (06-27-2010), drtbk4ever (06-25-2010)