Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Duk Liner

Does anyone have an opinion on these? I have a red and a yellow. They seem decently made, but install behind the durock. There is an installation pictorial here:

http://www.curtisresources.com/How-to-Install.html

There's not as much info on the net as I'd like. Some say that a liner should be installed behind it, some say that the framing should be notched to avoid a lump behind the durock, but my greatest concern is that it fits behind the durock. If the grout on the bottom edge leaks, water could get behind the durock.

That said, I have framed the openings higher than the expected water flow.

Oh, and did I say I have absolutely no experience with any of this and thus have only speculative questions?

Does the installation "guide" at the above link seem proper? Does the duk liner make the niche more leak prone?

Also, I'm hiring the tile job out, but plan on installing the duk liners and hanging the Durock myself. Should I hang the durock over the Duk Liners and cut them out after? What would be the best cutting method? Should I put some sort of liner behind the duk liner (there'll be no vapor barrier in this wall other than Red Gard on the front side of the Durok)?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by rightit; 06-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

Duk Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on these? I have a red and a yellow. They seem decently made, but install behind the durock. There is an installation pictorial here:

http://www.curtisresources.com/How-to-Install.html

There's not as much info on the net as I'd like. Some say that a liner should be installed behind it, some say that the framing should be notched to avoid a lump behind the durock, but my greatest concern is that it fits behind the durock. If the grout on the bottom edge leaks, water could get behind the durock.

That said, I have framed the openings higher than the expected water flow.

Oh, and did I say I have absolutely no experience with any of this and thus have only speculative questions?

Does the installation "guide" at the above link seem proper? Does the duk liner make the niche more leak prone?

Also, I'm hiring the tile job out, but plan on installing the duk liners and hanging the Durock myself. Should I hang the durock over the Duk Liners and cut them out after? What would be the best cutting method? Should I put some sort of liner behind the duk liner (there'll be no vapor barrier in this wall other than Red Gard on the front side of the Durok)?

Thanks for any info.
The product is a premade Niche which does (?) have some some slope out to drain water. If your using a waterproofing membrane like RedGuard, I think you would just extend the membrane into the edges of your backerboard, which you've cut to have the niche. That extends the waterproofing enough to include the niche which is already waterproof in itself because its one piece of plastic(?).

Just my somewhat educated guess. The install pictures, product description, and spec sheet leave a lot to be desired. You could try calling their phone number.

jimbriam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbriam For This Useful Post:
rightit (06-23-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Duk Liner

Hi Jimbriam. Thanks for taking the time to look into it. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there, but, as with other aspects of the project, the information accumulates until there is enough 'data'.

Thanks again.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rightit For This Useful Post:
jimbriam (06-20-2012)