DTC Drawer Slides From China - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DTC Drawer Slides from China

I am remodeling the kitchen, and I received a quote for cabinets from a company in MN called www.kcrtastore.com

The quote is attractive ($4,000 total for all our cabinets, including shipping). The cabinets are made in China, which is apparently why they are so cheap.

The owner of the company, whom I spoke with at length, seems trustworthy to me (I've worked in sales for years, so I have a good sense for when sales people are honest or not).

My only concern is that the cabinets use slides and hinges made by a company in China that I've never heard of before. Here is their website: http://www.ls-wj.com/index_en.asp Seems legit to me, but not sure.

Has anyone heard of this company or had any experience with their cabinet hardware?

Advertisement

BrewinBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Just because they are coming from China, does not mean that they are cheap. Most of this stuff is actually manufactured on barges and ships anchored in International waters on a Flagged ship of that country, then loaded into containers, which are brought back to port, stamped that they are made in China, but really are not.

99.99% of hardware is manufactured in factories in China, which you can thank the Wal-mart effect, along with APTA (Asia-Pacific Trade Agreement) & NAFTA. We send them scrape metals, such as our warships that have been decommissioned and cut up into pieces that can be placed on barges and holds of large transport ships, in return we get finished goods, Coal, Copper, and other materials. That also includes certain wood products.

This has been going on for Centuries.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Well that was interesting---
Sorry I never heard of that brand of hardware---It is likely that it is only used by manufacturers and not used by local cabinet makers in the US---

Have you actually seen the quality of the cabinets or hardware?

I have seen some Chinese cabinets that looked really good--so there are some good ones being imported---Mike----
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

Well that was interesting---
Sorry I never heard of that brand of hardware---It is likely that it is only used by manufacturers and not used by local cabinet makers in the US---

Have you actually seen the quality of the cabinets or hardware?

I have seen some Chinese cabinets that looked really good--so there are some good ones being imported---Mike----
Thanks. No, I haven't checked the actual product yet. They sell sample doors, and I was thinking to buy one of those, but GC recommended I should buy one whole cabinet and put it together to see the quality of the box and the hardware before buying everything. Would you agree?
BrewinBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Yes, the box is most important----So many of the ready to assemble cabinets are so badly made that they are broken while assembling and installing---I stopped installing RTA cabinets years ago because of the low quality.

I will pm you the name of the company with RTA cabinets that were acceptable---Mike----
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Unfortunately, most Chinese manufactured cabinetry that I have seen isn't worth the money you paid for it. Low quality hardware and poor quality control for cuts/joinery are the prime offenders. And those are both things that most homeowners aren't knowledgeable about, and thus are deceived as to the actual quality of the product. Also, over the years, many many companies have come and gone in the marketplace that retailed Chinese cabinetry. The only "name" one that I can think of that even exists any more from 10 years ago is Cabinets To Go. And they've changed manufacturers over the years as ones they used went out of business.

The bottom line is that most people who want a good product for themselves for their own homes and want to live in those homes for many years will be disappointed in Chinese cabinets. Now, flippers love it. But, they love anything with a low price point regardless of how it wears in 5 years time.

Advertisement

Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote