Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall behind new shower fixture - necessary?

I was discussing my plans today with some guys and I got two rather conflicting opinions, so I figured I'd run them by you guys and see what you thought.

I'm redoing the bathroom from ground up. Our shower/tub replacement will likely be a Sterling Vikrell tub along with some sort of a walled surround on 3 sides.

Suggestion 1 - Make sure you install the drywall to the floor prior to the tub being installed, then prime/paint it. That way you have additional layers of protection.

Suggestion 2 - I wouldn't suggest taking the drywall to the floor because if there's a leak, it'll only cause mold and mildew that you cannot see. Besides, if you caulk and seal things up properly with the surrounds, it won't be an issue anyway.

I can see logic in both scenarios. I ripped out the wall tonight and the plaster that was in place before was not taken to the floor. It was just taken to the tub and then small tiles were attached to the wall which created the shower surround.

The goal here is to do it right, regardless of how much extra time it'll take. I already have a good chunk of green board here, so it's hardly an extra expense to take the drywall to the floor.

What do you guys think?

roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #2

"That way you have additional layers of protection."

For the person who provided suggestion 1, ask for what the additional layer protects.

[that's a round a bout way of me providing an answer]

inthedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #3

DO not buy a cheap stick on the wall enclosure, there paper thin.
By a nail on one, there about three times as thick.
A layer of 6 mil. plastic goes up, the tub goes in then the walls get attached directly to the studs with roofing nails not screws, no drywall needed behind it just above it.
Make sure to read the directions as far as stud layout goes. Some need extra studs in the walls where the seams go.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthedrops View Post
"That way you have additional layers of protection."

For the person who provided suggestion 1, ask for what the additional layer protects.

[that's a round a bout way of me providing an answer]
I definitely thought the same thing. The individual who suggested doing this didn't suggest that it had to be done like that. It was in reference to "if there IS a leak, you'd have some deeper layers to go through." But there again, I wasn't sure how necessary it was or if that even made logical sense from a builder's point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
DO not buy a cheap stick on the wall enclosure, there paper thin.
By a nail on one, there about three times as thick.
A layer of 6 mil. plastic goes up, the tub goes in then the walls get attached directly to the studs with roofing nails not screws, no drywall needed behind it just above it.
Make sure to read the directions as far as stud layout goes. Some need extra studs in the walls where the seams go.
I hear ya. I got an Aqua Glass tub and surround set. It looked great on the shelf, so we threw it on the cart and left. Of course, I was Googling AFTER we bought it and it was pretty much a 1 to 8 ratio of loved it/hated it. I'm definitely returning the tub today because I took it out of the box and it's far flexier than I want to deal with. The surrounds are made of the same material (Styrene) so I have to assume they're no better at all. The only thing making me somewhat, maybe, possibly keeping the surrounds is due to the fact that the walls won't really be bearing any weight like the tub will. These surrounds are the kind that get attached right to the studs too, so I'm assuming (again) that they shouldn't really flex that much, if at all, as long as they're mounted properly to the studs. This definitely calls for taking them out of the box and getting more of an idea... Tub is definitely out, though...

I think I'm pretty much sold on the Vikrell tub by Sterling that Home Depot carries. It's a comparable price to the tub I'm returning and far better reviews. Surround wise, I didn't find anything else (at least online) that seemed earth shatteringly better than what I already have. We'll see, though!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #5

For what it's worth, I ended up returning the Aqua Glass tub and surround today at Lowes. Afterwards I went over to Home Depot, who carries the Sterling brand. I did a little research and reviews were very favorable of Vikrell, the material used in a lot of Sterling's products. I could tell right away the difference in stability. What was crazier is while I feel like I got a better product, it was 60 bucks cheaper than the tub/surround I got from Aqua Glass...

At any rate, we're on a roll now. I just wish I had enough vacation days to burn through them so I could work on this project endlessly at home. Gah...