Dryer Vent In The Wall Where New Shower Curb Intersects - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Dryer Vent in the wall where new shower curb intersects

This photo shows my desired shower curb layout for my bathroom remodel, but unfortunately one end intersects the wall right where the dryer vent is passing through.

http://imgur.com/ttOptv2

Does there need to be structure in the vertical wall where the curb intersects in order to attach a glass shower wall or for any other reason? The vent protrudes slightly past the stud, but not enough to be noticeable when there was drywall installed. Do I have any options for going with this curb layout or do I need to shrink the shower until I'm left of the vent?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Eclipse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 11,098

Yes there needs to be wood in the wall to attach the door to.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 4,926

I would go to the right instead. Change the head of that HVAC to a vertical giving you another few inches, then scab in some more studs. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE - PERLATO - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - CALACATTA - NAXOS - Slabs - Tiles - Custom containers marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #4

Unfortunately going right will put me within 22" from the front of the toilet which will violate code. Sounds like my options are to re-route the dryer vent or go left. I suppose I could double up the 2X4 in the narrow stud bay to the right of the vent, then intersect the curb where it would overlap that 2X4 and the stud just to the left of the vent. Then there's risk the future glass wall fasteners will land between the two pieces of lumber.

Interesting how through this process we discover why things were done a certain way to begin with!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse99 View Post
narrow stud bay to the right of the vent
I didn't see an edit function, I meant to the left of the vent.