Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Drop In Tub

Is it absolutely imperative to screw backer board into the deck of a drop in tub and then tile over the backer board?
or
apply redguard waterproofing directly to the 3/4 inch plywood and then tile upon that?

this is not a shower tub........just a tub up against two walls

Thanks

Last edited by Dfwsoup; 09-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Dfwsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #2

Drop In Tub

Not sure i understand your question. Nothing needs to go under a tub. Fiberglass tubs often need a mud or sand base for support, and some type of waterproofing is not a bad idea, but never tile or backerboard.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
DIY staff

Drop In Tub

I think he is talking about a deck mounted tub----If so I would put down 1/4 inch backer--Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #4

Drop In Tub

yes ..........I was talking about a drop in tub placed in a frame on top of 3/4 inch ply wood.............some guys have said just put some red guard on the plywood .......and tile on top of that....

others say put down some backer board on the plywood first......then lay the tile...........................

it is a free standing tub no shower........
Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
DIY staff

Drop In Tub

The backer is cheap insurance.-Most important is to seal the edges of the deck where the tub sits,

If water leaks under the lip of the tub and gets to the raw edge of the ply,it will puff up and lift the tiles.

Seal that edge with silicone caulk or your Red Guard" ---Mike--
Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

Drop In Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I think he is talking about a deck mounted tub----If so I would put down 1/4 inch backer--Mike---

im afraid my deck height will be too tall for the lip of my Kohler drop in tub.............can I adjust that with the mud if I put down the hardi board?

also......what is the hardi borad for? waterproffing or just another barrier to get to the wood..

thanks for the help

Gordon
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
DIY staff

Drop In Tub

Wood is a lousy thing to put under tile--it expands and contracts at a very different rate than the tile--
--thus breaking the bond with the thinset.

I prefer Durrock or WonderBoard over Hardibacker,myself. Thinset that down like a big tile.

Typically the backer is installed before the tub goes in--sounds like your tub is already in the hole--
You should be able to work around that---

If height is a problem you might hang in here and we will see if Jazzman or Bud Cline can offer a suggestion.---Mike--
Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Drop In Tub

no,,,,tub is not in yet...........but i like your thinking..........never thought of that.................i just put 1/2 " durrock around the splash area up above........i like the 1/2 because you can marry it up to the green rock........which is exact at 1/2" as is the durroc.........ok......so ill get some thinner durrock.......maybe 1/4? and deck the plywood..........then apply red guard?...............then tile? and if I am high when I set the tub......just spread a thicker mortar base to raise the lip? as I understand.......I dont want the lip of the tub to incur ANY weight..........it all should be taken up by the floor and the mortar base?
Thanks a bunch for the comments

Gordon
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
DIY staff

Drop In Tub

Sounds like you are doing it right---Little or no weight on the tub lip is correct.
A plywood riser in the bottom of the hole is o.k. to install if you need to lift the tub a bit.

Yes to setting the tub into a mud bed.---Mike---