Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Share |

Drilling a hole in granite after its been installed

Is it possible to drill a hole into the granite after it's been installed? My contractor connected the dishwasher through the disposal instead of drilling an additional hole to have it drain above the sink and this has caused nothing but problems. It seems that the disposal somehow backs up to the dishwasher and does not drain properly causing an odor. I would like to have the additional hole drilled and then call a plumber to connect it all up for me. Can this be done?

Mohearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

It is certainly possible to drill into granite, whether installed or not. To drill granite, you need a diamond core drill. I recently purchased a 1/2 inch diameter one, cost me about $20, and I drilled a hole through a granite countertop. In your case, your may be looking at a 2 inch diameter bit, considerably more expensive, but they work the same.

A couple of tricks. The bits last a lot longer if you keep them wet while drilling, using cold water. Second, you start the bit at about a 45 degree angle, then advance to vertical after you get a bite. I made a jig using a piece of 3/4 inch thick plywood, I drilled a hole the same size as the outside diameter of the diamond bit, and used the wood as a guide, so I avoided the 45 degree start. Once the bit bites about 1/4 inch, you don't need the guide anymore. The core bits do not have a pilot, so you need some means of starting.

Go slow, there is nothing worse than rushing the job and cracking the granite. Your significant other will probably kill you if you do that. Make sure the granite piece has wood underneath it where you drill, else you will get chipout at best on the bottom, and at worst you may crack the granite. For a 2 inch hole, you need a drill that has good torque at low speed, I think an 18 volt cordless would work fine. Do not use an impact driver.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jackofmany (09-29-2011), Mohearn (08-13-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Tileguy

The dishwasher is supposed to drain into the disposal, that's how they work. This is because people that have a dishwasher don't think it is necessary to rinse dishes before they go into the dishwasher. YOU obviously are one of those people. To eliminate any resulting odors most people just simply run their disposal after the dish washer has done its thing. Takes twelve seconds.
coderguy (08-10-2011), Mohearn (08-13-2011), tpolk (08-11-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohearn View Post
Is it possible to drill a hole into the granite after it's been installed? My contractor connected the dishwasher through the disposal instead of drilling an additional hole to have it drain above the sink and this has caused nothing but problems. It seems that the disposal somehow backs up to the dishwasher and does not drain properly causing an odor. I would like to have the additional hole drilled and then call a plumber to connect it all up for me. Can this be done?
I had the same problem with our new dishwasher, but the problem is the drain line was not elevated far enough from the bottom of the dishwasher. So on the rinse cycle the water being pumped out would back flow back into the bottom of the dishwasher causing a horrid smell. I installed a hanger at the base of the granite counter top to loop the drain line and now no more problem. Looking back in the install instruction it did say to do that. You might try to temporarily duct tape the drain line to the bottom of the granite to see if it works before spending $$.
JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohninSC For This Useful Post:
Mohearn (08-13-2011), oh'mike (08-10-2011), tpolk (08-11-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
DIY staff

In our area code does not allow the dishwasher to drain into the garbage disposer----

I suggest you remove the drain from the disposer and plug the port .

Add the disk washer drain to the other sink using a tail piece extension with a port for the DW drain.

Elevate the drain line to the bottom of the counter top as suggested above.

Code here also calls for a separate P-trap for each sink,but that's another story.---Mike----
Mohearn (08-13-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Tileguy

H-m-m-m-m! Everywhere I have ever been they always drained to the disposal. First I have heard of that not being allowed.

But then...
You live in Obamaville.
Mohearn (08-13-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
DIY staff

Hey,we still use conduit for electric wires----I do like separate P traps though.

Mohearn (08-13-2011)