Does Bathroom Without A Tub/Shower Need A Vent Fan? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Does Bathroom without a Tub/Shower Need a Vent Fan?

I just redid my small two piece bathroom in the basement. I ran a new 20amp line for the GFCI outlet and just in case I want to add a vent fan. The bathroom has no window and never had a fan (house was built in the 50's and this bath was never redone). As expected, the remodel is taking longer than expected and my wife just wants it done. My thought was to put the vent fan on hold for now and come back to it after a few other projects get finished. From my limited knowledge I understand the fan has two purposes which are to eliminate moisture from the bathroom and reduce the odor. Since I have no bath or shower I don't think the moisture will be an issue and this will not be a heavily used bathroom. Is there any other reason that I should install a vent right now instead of waiting? Thanks.

Advertisement

heyjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe91 View Post
Is there any other reason that I should install a vent right now instead of waiting? Thanks.
You will need access to the ceiling for installing the fan and running the ductwork. If you can't get to it from above, it's going to make a mess if you do it later. There are some remodel type fans that don't involve opening up the ceiling but it will limit your options.

There might be a building code requirement. I'm not versed in this area so I can't speak to it.

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 27

Thanks for the reply. The ceiling is closed and there is no access above. The bathroom is actually on the outside wall of the house so I guess I could put in a wall mount fan but it will be hard to find the electrical in the wall. I was planning to put the fan where the current light fixture is. The issue is that the walls are plaster and I hate messing with it. Also there is a pipe running across that particular bay so I would need maybe a 3" flex duct. I was just more concerned if there is any other reasons why I need a vent. Since there is no shower I don't think there is any danger of having no vent.
heyjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,724

i don't even have a fan in my full bath. but, there are only 2 people here. 4-6-8 showers a day could need a fan. anyway, you don't "need" a fan at all. unless, there is someone that will be using it regularly, and they really let out some stinky's.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,232

No bath or shower? Why bother with a fan? I wouldn't. Guess, if you care, it might depend on what code defines as a "bathroom."
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
43 years in construction

Rewards Points: 75

Most building codes require bathrooms and toilet rooms to have either an operable window or mechanical ventilation to the exterior.

i.e 2009 IRC chapter 15 (not sure if same chapter in 2012 IRC)

Advertisement

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote