Ditra Under Vanity Cabinets - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

ditra under vanity cabinets

I am doing a bathroom that has an 8 foot long vanity with two sinks. The owner wishes to keep the vanity if it is possible. In the past, for small vanities, I have always removed the cabinets.

I am doing a kerdi shower, with a ditra membrane on the floor. My gut tells me that I should remove the cabinets, and use the membrane up to the wall.

What I want to know, is
1. Is it possible to remove large cabinets without destroying them?
2. Is it ok to use Ditra right up to the cabinets (if I leave them in place) and stop there? There is a space under the cabinets where it appears that air can easily dissipate into the the room (there are holes inside the cabinets for the plumbing)

The floor is only 5/8" thick plywood. I was thinking about laying an extra 3/8" to 1/2" on top for strength. (If I got rid of the vanity, I would remove the 5/8" and replace it with new 3/4" ply.)

Advertisement

gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #2

anyone?

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

Are you talking about a granite counter top or some other breakable surface? They removed a large granite counter top on Holmes on Homes without breaking it but told the homeowner up front that it was risky and that it may break.

I'll let someone with tile experience weigh in on the other question.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #4

The counter top is the laminate type with the particle board core.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Seems a silly watse of time (and money) to remove the vanity when it isn't necessary.

Adding more plywood is almost always a good idea but had you researched DITRA you would know that it can be installed over a 5/8" subfloor. Why expose yourself to damaging the cabinet and vanity top if you don't have to and it isn't being replaced?

Quote:
My gut tells me that I should remove the cabinets, and use the membrane up to the wall.
What the heck for???
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #6

good points bud cline, I think I will not remove the counter tops
What I meant by the membrane going up the wall is, I always had the impression that ditra always had kerdi band at any termination point (a wall).
By installing Ditra over a floor that already has the cabinets installed, I cannot install kerdi band along the cabinets
-g
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

First let me say I am not an expert by any means, but have been reading here for a long time researching my own project.

My understanding is Ditra an uncoupling membrane used under floor tile. Don't see a reason to put it under a cabinet.

Kerdi
and kerdi band are waterproofing products used in the shower. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you use kerdi band with ditra.

I'd suggest going back to their webpage and doing a bit more research.

Last edited by Blondesense; 07-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Blondesense is correct. Unless I am missing something, you don't need a kerdi band on the wall or cabinet unless it is in or immediately around the shower.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

You're both right,Kerdi band isn't used for Ditra,just for the seams in a shower with Kerdi.
tileman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

actually both gramps & blondesense are right.

it depends on the usage of the room. If the floor needs to be waterproof for whatever reason, schluter has specified u use kerdi band to go over the ditra seams, and also up a few inches of the wall.

otherwise u don't need kerdi with ditra.

Advertisement

Last edited by acerunner; 07-06-2010 at 01:21 AM.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote