Determining Countertop Material And How To Cut It - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Determining countertop material and how to cut it

I recently purchased a new vanity and countertop for our washroom at an auction but the countertop is about 2" too wide. I feel confident I can trim it but I need to know what's it's made of so I can choose the correct circular saw blade to cut it with so my question is how can I determine what it's made of? The top finished surface looks like marble but the core definitely isn't and is more like epoxy. I picked an area that would be trimmed and drilled throuh it to see how hard it was and the drill bit passed through easily. I had already purchased a dry diamond blade but now that I know how soft the core is I'm affraid it's too soft for the dry diamond blade.

I'm a newbie to this and yeah I know I'm taking a serious risk of badly chipping the finished surface using a circular saw but I can get a router if needed if in fact a router would be a better choice. Keep in mind I only paid $25 for both the countertop and vanity (both new, never used) so even if I do screw it up and have to buy a new top that fits properly, I'll still have made a good deal.

Advertisement

ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

Check the bottom of the counter top, there may be something stamped there that will give us a clue as to the material. IF it is Corian or similar solid surface you can cut it with standard carbide tipped blades. Since it drilled easily you can, if you have room, try the circular saw for a few inches where it won't be a problem if it is damaged.

Advertisement

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip but I ended up using a router and it came out good with no chipping. We don't actually intend on remodeling the washroom till sometime next year but we couldn't pass up the deal on the vanity but at the same time I didn't want it sitting in the garage till next spring so I'm at least installing the vanity now. When we actually do remodel the washroom the vanity will be coming back out and the top will probably have to be narrowed again and I'll probably use the circular saw blade you mentioned when that time comes around.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #4

I think I should point some things out so any newbie like myself that reads this doesn't get the wrong idea. I avoided using the circular saw simply because I was afraid of chipping on the finished surface which is why I chose the router but I screwed up there because I chose a 1/8" dia rotozip bit and even though I moved painfully slow in order to avoid flexing the bit or overheating the core of the top I was cutting, the slim bit still wandered a tad even though I was using a jig to guide me so the finished cut edge wasn't perfect. It's not a big issue to me because the cut edges will will never be seen because the the coutertop in my case will be boxed in so once caulk is applied, the defects will never be seen but had the edges been exposed then the my cut edges would've been unacceptable. I like to take pride in my workmanship so even though the flaws will never be seen I still would've preferred a true cut so if the need occurs again I'll either use a ciruclar saw with a good carbide tip blade OR a router with at least a 1/4" dia bit.