Darkening Grout Colour Between Polished Marble Tiles - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Darkening grout colour between polished marble tiles

Hi all! New to this type of communicating so please bear with me. Wish I'd been by this site sooner. I'm in the process of renovating the bathroom. Ceramic, steel and polished marble tile has been installed on the bathtub walls using un-sanded grout. Problem, for me, is that the grout within the feature marble tile area is waaaaay too light - my attention goes directly to them instead of the marble. I'd like to have the grout lines darkened before any other treatment (such as sealing, which may/not be necessary?). Dying it, I'm told, would only be a temporary fix. It has been suggested that I use a stone enhancer which apparently comes in various sheens. I've uploaded a .jpg pix so's you have a visual. Recommendations gratefully received!
Attached Thumbnails
Darkening grout colour between polished marble tiles-bathroom-shower-tilie-job.jpg  

Advertisement

TLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The grout dyes I use are rated for 15 yrs, is that long enough?? Check a local tile supplier, not big box.

Your spelling of color, suggests you may be from across the pond. Not sure how my advices applies there.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

A rather LARGE pond, you might say. Could you send me an url for the grout dye you are referring to so that I can get a name and, hopefully, its ingredients? It might be the only way that I might find a similar grout dye here in Canada. In the event that one is NOT available, do you have any other suggestions? My thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Nice looking tub/shower.

Where abouts in Canada are you? I'd be will to bet you will be able to find the same dye as Just Bill buys here in Canada. But like he said, go to a tile shop, not the big box stores. And if you can't find it here I'd bet you could get it shipped from the States and even possibly, from the very same tile store Just Bill uses.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #5

Glad you like it so far, thanx. In addition to learning that grout dyes (being largely porous) would lose the colour, I was told that the grout colourant chosen could quite possibly leech into the marble. But, what about polished marble? If there is a high probability that it would, then that would be an unmitigated drag. Is there a way of preventing this from happening? My contractor is wanting me to avoid it for obvious reasons and is encouraging the stone enhancer instead, even though it too has its problems ... such as one can never sponge the area with water evenly in all places leaving some variation in the colour of the grout lines. On the other hand, that concept might work given the marble it's surrounding. Unfortunately, I don't know just how much darker the stone enhancer would make the grout lines and I do want them much darker. Is it dependent upon # of applications - could I be still doing this five years from now? Either way (to use grout colourant or stone enhancer), this is a task that I'll be taking on personally - hopefully this weekend since I'm running out of time. Answers to all of the above would go a long way to letting me know just which route I'll be heading down. Thanks in advance for any/all input!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do a search for grout dye, or grout colorant, that should turn up lots of sources.

Yes, it may leach inot the marble, but that marble looks rather dark, so it may not be an issue.

And Canada is not across the pond, just the upper 48.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

Sorry, the imp came out and took over. I know where Deleware is. Well, your comment regarding the darkness of the marble just confirmed my thought that it shouldn't matter. However, since I don't know diddily squat about the whole process or the materials, I thought I'd reach out for assistance. Thanks, Just Bill!

Advertisement