Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Share |

Damaged Bathroom Subfloor - Help!

I discovered that my toilet was leaking for some time now and as a result my subfloor is damaged. The problem is not laying down a new subfloor, but the fact that the joist i need to connect the new subfloor to is at least 12 inches behind the wall. Although the bathroom is on the second floor of the house, the duct work is between that wall and the joist that is on the opposite side of the wall. The joist on the inner portion of the wall in the bathroom can be tied into, but the problem is that the subfloor can not be secured because joist on behind the wall cant be reached. The subfloor along the wall has the vanity and toilet sitting on it. This is rotten and needs to be replaced, but all of this is tied to the joist that is 12 inches behind the wall. Help!!!
Shalgaam1! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

is there any way to add a joist into the floor system that goes on the bath side of the wall?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Got a picture?
Just add some cross bracing between the joist.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

Shalgaam, I just ran into this same problem a few weeks ago. Fortunately, I was able to open up the ceiling downstairs, which allowed me to add blocking between the joists. Unfortunately, that was the only room in the house with a colored ceiling.

Post us some pictures and we'll see what ideas come up. Alternatively, you could sheet over the old ply w/ new 5/8" ply. Of course, that would raise your floor height, requiring you to trim door and door frames.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote