Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Cutting Hole for Bathroom exhaust

I need to cut a hole through a rim joist for a bathroom exhaust fan. Either 3" or 4" hole. I was looking at the 3" or 4" hole saw. But reading the specs on them they don't look deep enough to go through the rim joist and siding.

How do you get the hole saw to cut all the way through?

My guess would be to drill half way through and where the pilot hole is drill that all the way through. Then go to the other side and put the pilot in the hole I just made and then finish the cut.

Is that how its done?

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Crusty Old Dude

Rewards Points: 75

That will do it. If you HAD to cut it from one side you can go as deep as the hole saw will go. Then chisel out the plug and go again from the same side,

Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,348

Is it also having to go through the siding? What type siding do you have?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

If it were me I would drill a 1.5" hole with a wood boring bit, then spiral cut out to the desired OD with a sawzall. But if the pilot bit is deep enough to get through the joist and you have access to the other side...and the hole that would work fine and be most expedient.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #5

I have wood siding, so thats going to add more depth on cutting through. I think I'll try to get the pilot hole to go all the way through. Then go to the other side the try to much through.

If that doesn't punch through do to being to thick, I'll go the sawzall way and finish it that way.

thanks guys for the tips!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
I have wood siding, so thats going to add more depth on cutting through. I think I'll try to get the pilot hole to go all the way through. Then go to the other side the try to much through.

If that doesn't punch through do to being to thick, I'll go the sawzall way and finish it that way.

thanks guys for the tips!!!

Just use a longer drill bit to drill your pilot hole, one that you are sure will go all the way through, then switch to your hole saw.

On one demo I saw, they drove a long nail all the way through to make sure the pilot hole was marked on both sides, then hammer the nail back through and then used hole saw from each side.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 12-11-2011 at 06:44 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

I am going to be doing this very soon too and need all the tips I can get. I have wood siding covered with vinyl siding that I need to go through...
dwcopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Wasn't as hard as I thought, from the inside I had a template of what the exhaust hole would look like. Drilled a hole from the middle of the template all the way through, then from the outside used a hole saw to cut through.

With the wood siding, cut through that then remove that from the hole saw then continue on through.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

did you buy a holesaw, rent, or borrow one? I know I am only gonna use it once, so it seems pricey to buy one. Do they rent these?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

borrowed from a friend. He was actually there helping so I didn't mess up.lol...but yeah they are spendy just to use once.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill
borrowed from a friend. He was actually there helping so I didn't mess up.lol...but yeah they are spendy just to use once.
Neighbor let me borrow his Lennox set. Went way better than I hoped for. Cut all but about 1/64 that I just tapped out with a hammer.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

You have a good drill to use? I had a dewalt 6.8 amp and that thing was starting to smoke. Worked good probably should of let up on it some.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #13

used a 20v rigid lithium ion
Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,002

I use a 4 1/8" lennox hole saw. I have used an 18v dewalt drill and at times used a corded drill. If the hole saw is in good shape, you shouldn't need to push hard at all. Let the holesaw do the work. I drill a pilot hole all the way through usually from the inside out, just to make sure I'm where I should be. Drill carefully through vinyl siding, no pressure and slow speed. Also helps to do it on a warm day, not chilly weather. As you go through each wood layer, empty the plug out of the holesaw. Thickest part should be the joist if you are going through it. Lennox 4 1/8" holesaw- $25, plus the arbor - $18.
http://www.toolup.com/lenox_66l_4-18...FQXqnAodCWZMiA

http://www.toolup.com/lenox_3l_3l-hole-saw-arbor.aspx
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
Just use a longer drill bit to drill your pilot hole, one that you are sure will go all the way through, then switch to your hole saw.

On one demo I saw, they drove a long nail all the way through to make sure the pilot hole was marked on both sides, then hammer the nail back through and then used hole saw from each side.
+1 this is what I did.

I found a long bit, same size as my arbor bit on the hole saw. I leveled the drill and went straight through the house (from inside to outside).

Then I used hole saw from inside and then from outside using the pilot hole for my arbor bit.

This way you can also run the saw backwards when cutting the vinyl. I also taped mine up to try to minimize tearing, don't know how effective it was tho... in the end the hole was covered by the vent assembly.