Customized Ikea Sink Cabinet - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
Question

Customized Ikea Sink Cabinet

Remodeling my kitchen with Ikea Akurum cabinets, but due to the layout, the sink will be in a corner and will have to be custom-built with only the sides and front doors/false drawers to be used from a base Ikea 30" cabinet.

I try to avoid particle board bottoms for sinks as much as possible and was looking at a 3/4" plywood solution but couldn't find any local sources for sheet melamine veneer, and ordering online will be expensive due to the shipping/handling.

Since Ikea cabinets are particle board/MDF and I would have used a stock cabinet if it would fit, and the fact that I'm retaining the Ikea sides, I guess I could use a 3/4" melamine sheet from the local HD for the bottom.

Thoughts one way or another? Tips on water-resisting these melamine sheets, such as caulking all seams, joints, and holes? Go with plywood and bite the bullet on melamine sheet veneer cost?

Advertisement

Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

I like to put sheet vinyl on the floor of my sink cabinets. So I'd use the plywood with a vinyl top layer. You could also just paint it with a high quality, high gloss, exterior paint.

Advertisement

MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaineLL For This Useful Post:
Augster (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineLL View Post
I like to put sheet vinyl on the floor of my sink cabinets. So I'd use the plywood with a vinyl top layer. You could also just paint it with a high quality, high gloss, exterior paint.
Do you do anything to hide the edges of the vinyl sheet? Any adhesive or "floating?"
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 79

Sometimes I'll use a metal transition strip at the front, where it is most likely to get caught. If I'm feeling really fussy, I might put some trim on the edges to hold it down.

I also know someone who uses sheet laminate on the bottom. That would avoid the issue of edges curling up.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 570

Before the assembly, I coat top, bottom and side edge with silicon except the back. That goes for sides that will contain the dishwasher too. The sink case gets extra protection with sticky liners on bottom, wrapping the corner.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote