Custom Shower Pan Water Test -- Not Draining - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

custom shower pan water test -- not draining

I just built a custom shower pan layed down new subfloor and my first layer of mortar, i then layed they pan liner membrane and did my water test. the liner didnt leak but after draining i noticed that water pooled in a few areas, most likely as a result from poor screeding. should i take out the liner and re do the first layer or is there something else i can do.... thanks in advance for all the help. This is why I try not to DIY becasue it always turns out wrong!

Advertisement

justheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheman View Post
I just built a custom shower pan layed down new subfloor and my first layer of mortar, i then layed they pan liner membrane and did my water test. the liner didnt leak but after draining i noticed that water pooled in a few areas, most likely as a result from poor screeding. should i take out the liner and re do the first layer or is there something else i can do.... thanks in advance for all the help.
I don't have an answer, but I'll be watching the thread since I just layed down my first shower pan today. I discovered that screeding is not easy. Before I called it quits, I took a racquet ball and watched it roll toward the drain from several directions.
I hope you find a good answer here.

Advertisement

mgray87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I know it's kinda late to change what you've done, but there's a product available that gives you the perfect preslope and final slope to you shower without having to worry about whether you did it right or not. Here's the link. It also comes with an all-inclusive installation video.

http://www.tools4flooring.com/3in1-s...kit-p-993.html

I would suggest however that if you are having pooling on your membrane, then you will have pooling after you put in your final slope also. If water permeates through your tile and final mortar bed, then you will have pooling on your membrane that will create mold.

I don't see why you couldn't just remove the membrane and add to the pre-slope. If that won't work, you might have to start over and could use this kit and get perfect results for both your prelope and final mortar app.

Good luck
knighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Remove the liner and add some thinset where it is pooling. Reinstall the liner add water and check again.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Btw, do yourself a favor and check this link out: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=5434
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote