DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Crown moulding for bathroom ceiling/wall joint - ok to use instead of spackle?

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RedRum157 
#1 ·
Wondering if spackle should have been used prior to adding the crown moulding - for potentially small areas between crown moulding and wall or ceiling where moisture can slip through?

The pictures show the following:
- before the crown moulding was added
- different pics after the moulding

Thx -

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That wall to ceiling area should have been taped and finished before the crown went up.
Inside corners should have been coped, not just an angled cut.
Those joints in the ceiling should have been wider.
The whole ceiling should have been sanded, primed and painted one coat before the trim went up. A whole lot easier then trying to cut in around the trim.
100 % sure your nailing into the studs?

Reactions: metazone
#3 ·
Thanks, Joe -- for the ceiling, I had a handyman/contractor come in to do it.

The deal was for him to replace the drywall ceiling and then leave it in 'paint ready' condition for me to do the painting. When he was at the point shown in picture 1, he asked me if I wanted crown moulding instead of spackle b/c it would save me from having to paint the walls. I chose the former.

** I assume that if it were done right, that the ceiling, wall would have spackle on it (the joints) but the crown moulding would cover the spackle on the wall to avoid painting- corr3ect?

I went to home depot and the person said that I can apply white caulking on the edges of the crown moulding. I want to make sure this is 'safe' in terms of moisture penetration; will the wood and the caulk provide a good moisture barrier so that moisture doesn't get into the attic / ceiling?

#4 ·
Take a step back.
Spackle is only for filling small nail holes.
From what I can see no way is that paint ready. Just run your hand across the drywall compound left on the sheetrock. If you can feel it, it's going to show.
Confusing pictures, some look like crown, some look like casing.
Last place I'd be looking for advice is at a box store!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
Ok - terminology wrong (spackle vs. ???)

Crown Moulding may not be the correct term -- he said he was going to use 'moulding'.

I sanded it after he left it that way and ... just finished applying one coat of primer (Zinsser 123) + 1 coat (used almost the full quart) of Zinsser Perma White. Wondering if I need to apply a second coat -- it's a 5x8 bathroom ceiling (2nd coat needed for bathroom ceiling b/c moisture?). It looks ok (still drying).

Bottom line: I want to make sure I have a moisture barrier. If I caulk the bottom and top and joints of the moulding, will that provide a functionally safe moisture barrier? (of course, removing the moulding, then filling in the joint space, putting back the moulding is the other option but -- need to understand the functional benefits).

Also -- need to understand the functional advantages of coping

#8 ·
Tom - I painted the ceiling and the moulding (yes, it does look like chair rail) with primer (Zinsser 123) and semi-gloss Zinsser Perma White. Plus added a bead of caulk on the bottom of the mouldings. Do you think I should take the moulding off and fill in the joint gaps? I'm going to contact the person who did this as well.

#9 ·
Crown moulding

Crown moulding is "trim"....decorative.

• The drywall should be completely finished (tape with "green top" mud from Menard's), and a few finish coats of "plus 3 tinted" (square box also from Menard's)...sanding in between. Til smooth to touch."if you can feel it, you'll see it"
  • Prime all over
  • 2 finish coats...bathroom I would go with semi gloss or eggshell...nothing flatter
  • NOOOOWWWW the crown should be installed, 45 plus cope...detail down.
  • any scratches to the newly painted wall/ceiling can be touched up to match since the paint is still new.
Whenever we do a project (www.suburbankitchenandbath.com), we use email to describe EXACTLY what the steps will be and what the contract contains (what is covered in the price). You, as the homeowner, will be assured of a complete job.
You always get what you pay for.
Your towns Chamber of Commerce is a source for reputable tradesmen.
John
Suburban Kitchen and Bath

subkb@sbcglobal.net
779 225 8605

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.