Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Share |

Is it crazy to leave space for a builtin dishwasher without actually installing one?

I'm doing a modest renovation of my mother's kitchen. (New cabinets, new floors, modernizing and expanding the existing peninsula) She and the friend she lives with do not need or want a dishwasher. I would install one anyway except that money is an issue. For resale purposes, I am considering leaving a 24" gap in the cabinentry where a dishwasher could be installed in the future. In the meantime the "gap could be used for additional seating around the peninsula. Is it a problem wedging a builtin dishwasher into existing cabinets? Would doing so damage granite countertops (if I can afford them!) Is this simply a bad idea? Advice please. (Including whether I should leave wiggle room if I do this.) Thanks much!
lkayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #2

Is it crazy to leave space for a builtin dishwasher without actually installing one?

read this post: Install a dishwasher in an existing kitchen cabinet
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #3

Definitely have the sapace for it, could even put a 24" cabinet there
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

definitely put a 24 inch cabinet in the space that could be removed at a later date. even if its the next tenant that does it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

I would also vote for leaving space for future dishwasher.

As far as the width is concerned, I think most 24" dishwashers are actually 23 1/2". I usually leave extra 1/4" on each side though.

Good luck
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote