Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cracked Skylight

Hello,
My bathroom skylight was installed about 5 years ago. One year ago, it developed a small crack in the inner acrylic bubble. The outer acrylic bubble is ok. This Spring the crack has expanded. I placed some acrylic cement on the crack in the hope it will stop expanding. The manufacturers name is Velux. I do not have the receipt or proof of warranty.

I am trying to figure out whether this is a factory defect or installation problem. The skylight was installed by me onto an existing curb on a flat roof. After the first Winter, I was getting condensation dripping down from it and I decided to make my own window using 1 X 3 and clear plastic sheeting and weather seal strips around the perimeter. This prevented warm air from reaching the skylight. The homemade window is installed directly on the ceiling to cover a tunnel area that is 2 feet high before it reaches the skylight. So now I only get some fog on the window provided I use the bathroom fan.

So I am a bit perplex as to how this crack occured. The skylight seems well sealed when closed. Idea's anyone?

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #2

Cracked Skylight

I don't think Velux ever made a double bubble skylite. They are inexpensive, and never last. They do make bubble replacement sashes(glass), and tubular skylites, but I think thoise have single plastic(Lexan) covers. Velux does have a good warranty, if you insist it is Velux, contact them. Repair is futile, replace it with a genuine Velux.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #3

Cracked Skylight

I assume its a velux because although I do not see the name on the skylight, the screen that came with the product has the Velux name on it. I do not want to replace it until I find out what caused the crack. Then I can try to do something about it.

A thought came to me after I posted and I am looking at summer temperatures on a flat asphalt roof which now has been redone with rubber in April. I have central air and keep the house temperature at 74 degrees. My homemade window is taken down during the warm season and with roof temperatures rising over 100 degrees to ?????; the inner side of the skylight is exposed to cooler temperatures. I wonder if this differance in temperature is playing a role in the problem.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #4

Cracked Skylight

Do you have a picture ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Cracked Skylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
Hello,
My bathroom skylight was installed about 5 years ago. One year ago, it developed a small crack in the inner acrylic bubble. The outer acrylic bubble is ok. This Spring the crack has expanded. I placed some acrylic cement on the crack in the hope it will stop expanding. The manufacturers name is Velux. I do not have the receipt or proof of warranty.

I am trying to figure out whether this is a factory defect or installation problem. The skylight was installed by me onto an existing curb on a flat roof. After the first Winter, I was getting condensation dripping down from it and I decided to make my own window using 1 X 3 and clear plastic sheeting and weather seal strips around the perimeter. This prevented warm air from reaching the skylight. The homemade window is installed directly on the ceiling to cover a tunnel area that is 2 feet high before it reaches the skylight. So now I only get some fog on the window provided I use the bathroom fan.

So I am a bit perplex as to how this crack occured. The skylight seems well sealed when closed. Idea's anyone?
That doesn't sound like a Velux. They have a trouble bubble replacement line, but I didn't think they'd been making them for 5 years yet. Is this an operable s/l? If so, it sounds even less like a Velux. AFAIK, their operable units have glass.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Cracked Skylight

Quote:
I assume its a velux because although I do not see the name on the skylight, the screen that came with the product has the Velux name on it. I do not want to replace it until I find out what caused the crack. Then I can try to do something about it.

A thought came to me after I posted and I am looking at summer temperatures on a flat asphalt roof which now has been redone with rubber in April. I have central air and keep the house temperature at 74 degrees. My homemade window is taken down during the warm season and with roof temperatures rising over 100 degrees to ?????; the inner side of the skylight is exposed to cooler temperatures. I wonder if this differance in temperature is playing a role in the problem.
It shouldn't.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #7

Cracked Skylight

<Is this an operable s/l? If so, it sounds even less like a Velux. AFAIK, their operable units have glass.>

Yes, it operates by hand crank. My skylight has an inner and outer bubble. the inner bubble is opaque and the outer is clear. Both are either acrylic or acrylic and lexan. My roofer told me that simular units cost him about $325.00 and he charges around $600.00 to install it. So you see, I need to find out what caused this problem before I consider replacing it. I was estimating when the skylight was installed. I just cannot remember.
If the cement that I used to seal up the crack, prevents further cracking, then I am in luck. But in reality, I think its just a bandaid approach.
Its also possible that the dealer put the wrong screen on my purchase. Without a receipt, I am fishing.

Last edited by rjordan392; 05-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Cracked Skylight

Quote:
<Is this an operable s/l? If so, it sounds even less like a Velux. AFAIK, their operable units have glass.>

Yes, it operates by hand crank. My skylight has an inner and outer bubble. the inner bubble is opaque and the outer is clear. Both are either acrylic or acrylic and lexan. My roofer told me that simular units cost him about $325.00 and he charges around $600.00 to install it. So you see, I need to find out what caused this problem before I consider replacing it. I was estimating when the skylight was installed. I just cannot remember.
If the cement that I used to seal up the crack, prevents further cracking, then I am in luck. But in reality, I think its just a bandaid approach.
I can't find any Velux offering like that. All their opening skylights have glass. My guess is that it's some other brand and has been fitted with a Velux screen. A picture would help identify it.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

Cracked Skylight

I copied this off of the velux website: I'll see about taking a picture.

HomeDealers & InstallersMedia/Pressroom
ConsumerGet inspiredSustainable livingProductsMaintenance & installationServiceBlind shopProfessionalsTechnical info & toolsInstallation & trainingProductsNews & inspirationMore VELUXVELUX AmericaSponsorshipsThe VELUX groupNewsJobs & career
Send a recommendation
Your e-mail: Enter a valid email addressReceipient(s) of the email:
Enter a valid email address
Message from receipient(s): Home > United States of America > Consumer > Products > Commercial skylights > Venting and access > Roof hatch (CVA) Roof hatch skylight (CVA)Residential skylights
SUN TUNNEL™ skylights
Commercial skylights
Venting and access
Roof hatch (CVA)
Electric venting (VCE)
Louvered (CAP)
Fixed skylights
Fall protection
Roof monitors
SUN TUNNEL™
skylight (TCR)
Solar water heating systems
Discounted skylights
Tax credits
Warranty
Marketing
FAQ
The CVA skylight is a durable venting skylight with egress capabilities providing full roof access. With its access hardware and maintenance-free PVC liner, this skylight is especially well suited for flat roof access in commercial spaces and high density housing.

Heavy-duty construction
The CVA skylight is constructed of a heavy-duty welded aluminum hatch with a mill finish.

Thermal insulation
The CVA skylight is insulated with a heavy wall white 1 1/8" PVC curb liner, providing a full thermal break for maximum energy efficiency.

Weathertight dome
The CVA skylight features a double dome seal. The acrylic double dome is available in clear over clear, clear over white, white over clear and bronze over clear.

Fast and easy installation
The CVA skylight is constructed to allow quick and easy curb mounted installation.

Egress hardware
The CVA skylight egress hardware allows easy access to the roof. Durable chains prevent the dome from hitting the roof.

Available sizes
The CVA skylight is available in common four sizes. For details, download the commercial product sizes, or contact us at 1-888-878-3589. Due to local sales tax, transportation and delivery costs that may vary, please consult your local VELUX dealer for pricing.

Specification
The skylight shall be an acrylic domed skylight, VELUX model CVA, manufactured by VELUX America, 450 Old Brickyard Road, Greenwood, SC 29648, 888-878-3589. The skylight shall be a factory-assembled, curb mounted unit welded using a 6063 extruded aluminum retaining angle and a maintenance-free PVC interior providing a leak-proof design. The skylight will provide full egress hardware providing access to the roof. It shall include a full polyurethane thermal break and weep system to minimize condensation. The skylight shall be double domed with [clear acrylic] [bronze acrylic] [white acrylic] over [clear] [white] acrylic.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Shut in w/o Home

Cracked Skylight

http://www.ventingdirect.com/imageba...vaskylight.jpg

Good find. I was looking at residential skylights. That's an expensive unit.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #11

Cracked Skylight

I just came down from the roof. I have a telescoping ladder that I use to gain access via the bathroom to the roof.
Its a Velux and I saw the nameplate on the skylight from the outside. I was just trying to import my pictures to the computer but failed. I think I need to install a program called Infanview to do this. Sorry about the mixup between commercial and residential; I did not know what I had. Now that we have this cleared up; its back to the cause of the crack. Opinions anyone?