Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #1

Share |

Countertop Overhang with Slide-In Range

We purchased a GE Profile 30 inch slide in range. We will have new cabinets, flooring and granite countertops. I was just inspecting the range for installation details and discovered that it is designed to go with countertops that are flush vertically with the drawers and cabinet doors. We've always had one inch overhangs on our previous countertops and do not care for the idea of the front of the granite being flush with the drawer front face.

You can see from the attached photo of the GE Profile 30" range how the countertops to the left and right of the range are flush with the front face of the drawers.

I was thinking we could have the countertop fabricator notch the edge of the countertop to accommodate the slide in range and still provide the overhang over the cabinets. Has anybody used this approach?

Any advice on how to address this problem would be most appreciated.
Attached Images

SteveCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #2

Not sure I understand what you are looking for. The finished product is to look like it is built in and belongs there, as in the pic. Where/why do you want an overhang??? At the front or the sides??

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

Regular countertop overhanging the front of the cabinets by 1 inch.
SteveCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCalif View Post
Regular countertop overhanging the front of the cabinets by 1 inch.

Kitchen base cabinets are 24" deep. You add 3/4" for drawer faces and doors, that comes out to 24 3/4". Counter tops are 25". You should have a 1/4" overhang for the counter top to the drawer face.

Last edited by cabinetman; 08-02-2009 at 05:58 AM.
cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #5

Most of the slide in ranges I have installed are as you described. I normally have the counter top field cut (notched) by the granite installer.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #6

I am doing the same job as you in my home except with the GE CAfe slide in.
I haven't received the range yet, but have my new cabinets, new tile floor is installed, and will have granite countertops installed. I had assumed the countertop depth would be 25" which covers the base cabinet and door/drawer fronts and leaves a 1/4" extra as someone else replied, this was my past expierience with plastic laminate countertops. However after having spoken with 2 granite fabricators and 2 cabinet men I learned that common practice is 25 3/4"-26" countertop depth. This extends the countertop well past door/drawer front (1"-1 1/4") to a roughly even depth with the knobs and pulls. I visited a number of kithchen showrooms and have seen that the deeper granite counter is in fact the norm. I was told by a granite fabricator that I could go less deep on the counter if I desired, but he didn't feel it looks as good. I hadn't considered how it would affect the range appearance. Can the range be pulled forward an inch? Is it an issue at all? Perhaps the range will just appear recessed an inch and a small radius cut on the abutting granite counter.
newgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #7

It's not an issue, just depends on how you want it to look. The range can be pulled forward, however if that is done you will see more of the side of the range than just the door. Cutting a notch in the top in my opinion looks better, than the range sitting out further. If your counter tops are pre cut prior to deliverly, you may want to let them know you want it recessed as the depth will change also.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #8

Thanks
newgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

I just had my GE 30" Profile, purchased 10/09, hauled away. When it was installed, no one knew about this issue. There was a gap in the back between the oven and counter because of the oven's 'lip'. The installer said no problem, they would add a piece of metal to cover the gap.

The problem then became that once I used the oven, slats along the sides of the oven expanded and scraped the adjacent cabinet doors, keeping them from moving freely. The GE repairman came out and said the oven is designed to "expand" and that normally the cabinetry contains it fully.

GE was not helpful and ultimately I had to contact the local Consumer Affairs DA for assistance. Eventually the retailer agreed to take back the oven.

Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
countertop, granite, overhang, range, slide-in