Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

counter tops

What is the best,safest and most durable clearcoat to put on kitchen DIY kitchen counter tops?

qbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Tileguy

counter tops

Counter tops aren't typically ever painted with anything.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

counter tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbabe View Post
What is the best,safest and most durable clearcoat to put on kitchen DIY kitchen counter tops?
What is the counter top made of?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

counter tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Counter tops aren't typically ever painted with anything.
I know the countertop granite coating kits and various topcoats are popular now but I have trouble believing anything so thin will stand up to abuse of even minimal nature and not ended up chipping into a salad bowl or something. Even nicely done epoxy bar top finishes bite the dust if you drop anything heavy or cut on them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Tileguy

counter tops

Quote:
I know the countertop granite coating kits and various topcoats are popular now but I have trouble believing anything so thin will stand up to abuse of even minimal nature and not ended up chipping into a salad bowl or something.

Granite is composed of multiple minerals and therefore difficult to determine a specific hardness but generally granite is considered in most all cases to have a hardness of [7] on the Mohs Scale. The Mohs Scale has values from 1 to 10 with diamond being a 10.

Granite is difficult to scratch with everyday kitchen utensils and won't easily chip under everyday normal use and it also is not vulnerable to most heat events that would occur in a kitchen environment.

Sealing granite is done so as to somewhat protect the stone from stains. Sealers however only allow a time to clean up any spills and will not necessarily totally protect the stone from staining except in rare cases. Some granite's such as Absolute Black Granite are so dense that they won't even take a stain or a sealer for that matter and those stones in fact can not be sealed. They are naturally repellent to sealers and stains.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

counter tops

I was thinking of those kits they sell that offer a "granite look" as a finish for laminated counter tops. I was not thinking of granite or concrete countertop sealers as I don't really think of them as topcoats. My fault for not explaining. I wonder if the OP was asking what might be used to seal wooden countertops like butcher block?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote