Counter Heights To Above Cabinets - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

counter heights to above cabinets

i am putting in a new kitchen and want to know if it is okay to have 16inches clearance between the counter and top cabinets? i am only five feet tall and would like to be able to reach the top cabinets easily..will this leave enough clearance for my microwave above the stove?

Advertisement

swebber542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 25

Typical clearance is 18" from top of countertops to bottom of upper cabinets. I have adjusted up and down based on customer desire. Measure your appliances that will go underneath and adjust the height to fit.
Check the range/ stove top manual to see if there is a requirement for clearance from the range to the microwave or cabinet/combustables.

Advertisement

JCarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Swebby,
I built a house for my mother about 8 years ago. She's 4'-10" tall. I lowered the upper cabinets a couple of inches to make it easier for her. We haven't run into any problems due to that. At a glance, you wouldn't even notice.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote