Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Could I remove these without damage?

Do you guys think it would be possible to remove these old tile fixtures without damaging the adjacent tile? Likewise do you think there are tile pieces behind them? Looking at how they are arranged with the other tile I would think there is.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120202_135127.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  11.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120202_135156.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  12.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120202_135232.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  14.2 KB

Michaelpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,302

They are just stuck to the walls like tile. Personally, I would just replace with new fixtures, unless you are going for that retro look.

Big problem will be matching them to the new tile.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

I think they are stuck to tile that is already there underneath. I don't want to replace all of the tile right now, but I want rid of those fixtures. Just wanted to get an opinion if there were tiles pieces underneath.

Finding matching tile for the 40 year old house would probably be impossible.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

There is no tile under them. Again, they are applied like the tiles, but are stuck with thinset, vs. mastic. Also, you may have Rock-Lathe, or do you know if you have Lathe & Plaster in the home? Rock-Lathe is gypsum board, with the holes in it, and a plaster coat is applied over it. When you pull those fixtures, you are going to take a huge chunk of the plaster also with them. I had them in my bath, and just knocked them and the tiles, with the Rock-lathe off, since it was going to the dump anyways.

If you look below the window, you can see a spot where our soap dish, which was the same type of fixture used to be. It took a huge chunk of plaster with it, when we knocked it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Could I remove these without damage?-28838_398454237551_501562551_3965585_7839183_n.jpg  
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-02-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

I think, you'll find those fixture are installed using plaster of Paris? you knock them off? you'll have a big hole to patch!

this is a question for Bud the tile guy that is Bud Cline
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Actually coupe, they are installed with a thinset, that back in the day was the same material that was used for the coating on rock-lathe & plaster-lathe walls. I wished that I had kept the picture after we knocked the fixtures off of our wall, but at that point, I just wanted to get the crud off the floors, and ended up filling over 20 doubled & tripled contractor bags with material, from our bath remodel.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 640

Those pieces are usually not flat on the backside. They push in toward the wall. There's no tile behind them and a slight chance you can remove them without damaging the surrounding tiles, but not likely.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Odds are against removing them. I'm guessing yours are built similar to these. Scroll down about 2/3 of the way and you'll see pics of the back.

http://www.eclectic-ware.com/Eclecti...on_by_njp.html

Edited to add: Not endorsing this site, just using it as an example.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

Ugh yeah the odds are against me on removing them.

I'm not sure what the wall is behind them. It is just Sheetrock and 2x4s on the rest of the walls.

I didn't think about them being recessed slightly so they could get a hold on the wall. The way the tiles are installed around them led me to assume they were just placed over existing tile. It makes sense that the edges of the fixtures would just be covering the rest of a whole tile.

Maybe I will paint them when I do the walls soon.

Thanks everyone for your help!