Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cost of stripped kitchen cabinets and re-staining

Hello,
I have a related post to this issue, but I'm curious what is a reasonable cost to have painted removed from kitchen cabinets, and cabinets sanded down and restained. We paid a few gentleman $950 for a pretty standard-sized kitchen. The job is not going well. My husband doesn't want to spend more, but I'm guessing we got what we paid for . . . Estimate?

melissaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

most finishers would call that job impossible---and would not take on the job at any price-----

It would be better to reface the cabinet boxes and buy new doors and drawers---

Gymschu (04-01-2014), Live_Oak (03-17-2014), RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 718

We would not touch that job.If we did it would be a lot more than $950.Sounds like a craigslist deal to me?
Mike has given you some good advice.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Ditto mako1 and Mike...Unfortunately, you have a big refinishing job with a low probability of success. I am currently working on some bedroom bi-fold closet doors that were stained and poly-ed. I wanted to strip and paint them. Went to the refinishing shop to get an estimate for striping and sanding them down so that I could prime and paint. Just one section of a bi-fold door was going to cost $90-$100 to strip and sand. Stripping chemicals cost $$ and the sanding is labor. The approach your guys were taking sounds right to me. Bottom line here is that it ain't cheap getting refinishing work done. I've opted to do the work myself...and it's a slow process, but the first door came out fantastic!.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIYRemodeler For This Useful Post:
RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

Thanks much, Gentlemen, for the advice!
melissaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

You could buy all new cabinets cheaper. Just doing a prograde paint job averages 4-6K, and while labor intensive to do the prep correctly, is no where as labor intensive (or problematic for major issues) as a strip job. Most of the time, it just can't be done chemically. The pigment has to be sanded out of the wood. With items with profiles, it's very easy to have that go pear shaped very quickly.
DIYRemodeler (03-17-2014), Gymschu (04-01-2014), oh'mike (03-18-2014), RiderS (05-26-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

Hi, I'm kind of going through the same thing. Not really, I haven't started yet. I live in a mobile home and I'm pretty sure these cabinets are NOT wood, they just look like wood. [ which I hate.. ]. I'm wondering if I can paint them and if I can paint them, what kind of paint should I use ? I just bought this place and everyday I wonder why ? lol Thanks for your time.
RiderS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 77

RiderS I think if you posted in the paint category you might get some more experienced answers, also establishing your own thread.

That being said, you might have some success using a bonding primer and then painting with a good quality paint. Might being the operative world :-)
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaineLL For This Useful Post:
RiderS (05-26-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineLL View Post
RiderS I think if you posted in the paint category you might get some more experienced answers, also establishing your own thread.

That being said, you might have some success using a bonding primer and then painting with a good quality paint. Might being the operative world :-)
MaineLL is dead on. Of course you really need to determine what is on your cupboards now. Mobile homes are notorious for having particleboard covered with cheap plastic laminate. If they are like that, it's near impossible to paint them because paint causes the plastic to bubble and oh, what a mess.

If they are indeed REAL wood, mark all the cabinet doors so you know where they go, take them all down, remove all hardware. Clean them thoroughly to remove grease, dirt, and other contaminants. Then lightly sand them and remove dust. One coat of bonding primer. Sand again. Remove dust. One coat of finish paint. Reassemble. THen apply the final coat. Done.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
RiderS (05-26-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
MaineLL is dead on. Of course you really need to determine what is on your cupboards now. Mobile homes are notorious for having particleboard covered with cheap plastic laminate. If they are like that, it's near impossible to paint them because paint causes the plastic to bubble and oh, what a mess.

If they are indeed REAL wood, mark all the cabinet doors so you know where they go, take them all down, remove all hardware. Clean them thoroughly to remove grease, dirt, and other contaminants. Then lightly sand them and remove dust. One coat of bonding primer. Sand again. Remove dust. One coat of finish paint. Reassemble. THen apply the final coat. Done.
They are the particleboard covered with cheap plastic laminate.
I'm new to this site and I appreciate every ones help and advice.
I knew I should not of bought this place.... [ the day I picked up the keys, I slipped and fell on ice just in the front of the house, and broke my hip. Didn't get to move in for another month due to hospital stay. ] Sitting here, recovering, trying to figure out how to make those ugly cupboards nice without ripping them all out and starting from fresh with real wood. Thanks for your time.
RiderS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Sorry to hear this kitchen is beating you up---

You might find used cabinets that are in good shape---or a close out---

I had a customer use some RTA cabinets that looked very good-(ETA ready to assemble)---
RiderS (04-02-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
most finishers would call that job impossible---and would not take on the job at any price-----

It would be better to reface the cabinet boxes and buy new doors and drawers---
Resurfacing sounds exactly like what you need. Plus, it's not that expensive to have it done professionally, even cheaper if you feel comfortable enough to do it your own.

rushmore is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rushmore For This Useful Post:
RiderS (05-26-2014)

Tags
cabinets, cost, kitchen, sanding, stain