DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cost of stripped kitchen cabinets and re-staining

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  rushmore 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a related post to this issue, but I'm curious what is a reasonable cost to have painted removed from kitchen cabinets, and cabinets sanded down and restained. We paid a few gentleman $950 for a pretty standard-sized kitchen. The job is not going well. My husband doesn't want to spend more, but I'm guessing we got what we paid for . . . Estimate?

#4 ·
Ditto mako1 and Mike...Unfortunately, you have a big refinishing job with a low probability of success. I am currently working on some bedroom bi-fold closet doors that were stained and poly-ed. I wanted to strip and paint them. Went to the refinishing shop to get an estimate for striping and sanding them down so that I could prime and paint. Just one section of a bi-fold door was going to cost $90-$100 to strip and sand. Stripping chemicals cost $$ and the sanding is labor. The approach your guys were taking sounds right to me. Bottom line here is that it ain't cheap getting refinishing work done. I've opted to do the work myself...and it's a slow process, but the first door came out fantastic!.

#6 ·
You could buy all new cabinets cheaper. Just doing a prograde paint job averages 4-6K, and while labor intensive to do the prep correctly, is no where as labor intensive (or problematic for major issues) as a strip job. Most of the time, it just can't be done chemically. The pigment has to be sanded out of the wood. With items with profiles, it's very easy to have that go pear shaped very quickly.

#7 ·
Hi, I'm kind of going through the same thing. Not really, I haven't started yet. I live in a mobile home and I'm pretty sure these cabinets are NOT wood, they just look like wood. [ which I hate.. ]. I'm wondering if I can paint them and if I can paint them, what kind of paint should I use ? I just bought this place and everyday I wonder why ? lol Thanks for your time.

#8 ·
RiderS I think if you posted in the paint category you might get some more experienced answers, also establishing your own thread.

That being said, you might have some success using a bonding primer and then painting with a good quality paint. Might being the operative world :)

#9 ·
MaineLL is dead on. Of course you really need to determine what is on your cupboards now. Mobile homes are notorious for having particleboard covered with cheap plastic laminate. If they are like that, it's near impossible to paint them because paint causes the plastic to bubble and oh, what a mess.

If they are indeed REAL wood, mark all the cabinet doors so you know where they go, take them all down, remove all hardware. Clean them thoroughly to remove grease, dirt, and other contaminants. Then lightly sand them and remove dust. One coat of bonding primer. Sand again. Remove dust. One coat of finish paint. Reassemble. THen apply the final coat. Done.

Reactions: RiderS
#11 ·
Sorry to hear this kitchen is beating you up---

You might find used cabinets that are in good shape---or a close out---

I had a customer use some RTA cabinets that looked very good-(ETA ready to assemble)---

Reactions: RiderS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.