Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #1

Share |

Corian Countertop Crack

Don't know exactly what brand of counter top it is, could be corian, LG, formica (not laminate), Samsung or any other solid surface. There is a crack from edge to the middle of the counter top. A contractor say he can grind it down and fill it with something so that it will be less visible. But I doubt it as it is a crack all the way down - at least on the edge.

Is this fixable? I believe solid surface type of countertop can be melted together seamlessly. But don't know how.
diy1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
DIY staff

Corian Countertop Crack

Need a picture----Is it an open seam? Of so,opening the crack with a grinder--filling and sanding the repair is standard practice.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Corian Countertop Crack

Put a bag of ice over the crack. If it gets a little wider, your top is an acrylic based solid surface.

Check out this repair. It is simple, strong and usually invisible.

https://sites.google.com/site/coriar...t-crack-repair

I hope this helps.
Ken Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Dolph For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Corian Countertop Crack

The crack can be seen from the edge all the way down vertically, on the surface it extends to the middle of the the countertop. So at least on the edge it cracked all the way down, but in the middle maybe just the surface. I won't be able to have a picture until this weekend.

Is the "standard practice" you described the same as the one Ken mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Need a picture----Is it an open seam? Of so,opening the crack with a grinder--filling and sanding the repair is standard practice.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #5

Corian Countertop Crack

No. The method that I describe is based on the adhesive that DuPont Laboratories determined as best for Corian. In the early days the fabricators used it wrong and it was abandoned.

The standard practice is to cut out the area of the crack with a template and replace it with another piece that has been cut to fit perfectly.

Grinding it out and filling it is NOT recommended.

I hope this helps
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #6

Corian Countertop Crack

Where can I buy this "Art Specialties International, Inc. Super Thin CA"?

After applying heat with hair dryer, is the crack supposed to be closed? If the surface is not aligned, I guess I will have to hold the surface to line them up during the entire procedure?

When applying the CA, how do I know the CA will go through the crack if the seam is closed by heat already? I read it from here:

http://www.thefabricatornetwork.com/...2/Default.aspx

that somebody actually apply the CA before applying heat.

How much CA should be applied? I suppose I will see the excessive liquid along the crack after applying it. Shall I use the paper towel to wipe if off immediately after I apply it?

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
Put a bag of ice over the crack. If it gets a little wider, your top is an acrylic based solid surface.

Check out this repair. It is simple, strong and usually invisible.

https://sites.google.com/site/coriar...t-crack-repair

I hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Corian Countertop Crack

Would this filling method good for non Dupont product? I don't know whether it's acrylic type or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
No. The method that I describe is based on the adhesive that DuPont Laboratories determined as best for Corian. In the early days the fabricators used it wrong and it was abandoned.

The standard practice is to cut out the area of the crack with a template and replace it with another piece that has been cut to fit perfectly.

Grinding it out and filling it is NOT recommended.

I hope this helps
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

Corian Countertop Crack

Do not apply before it is closed. The adhesive will start curing at the ends of the crack and then not allow it to close properly when the heat is added.

A thin bead of adhesive is all that is necessary.

Yes you will want to align the pieces while applying heat.

The paper towel should be used to wick any excessive puddling. You will sand off the normal excess.

In the article you cite, he did not follow the directions and got an acceptable repair. If he would have don it right, it would have been better. If you read my posts there you will see much more information than I have put elsewhere.

It will work on any acrylic based product. It can work with some others. I gave you the way to tell if it is acrylic based in my first post.

You have to call to order it. 1-800-724-4008.

Last edited by Ken Dolph; 08-16-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Corian Countertop Crack

Attach the picture here.
Attached Thumbnails
Corian Countertop Crack-img_4159-scaled.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Old School

Corian Countertop Crack

I've been working with solid surface materials since they came out. I would not recommend the repair to be a DIY. I would recommend finding a local shop that is certified and would be qualified to determine exactly what material it is and perform a good repair.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote